C25: The Slave

Comincia dall'inizio

"He was accompanied by a Spartan" Herodotus said,

"Any hooded man with burns could be accompanied by a Spartan, Herodotus" Eos shrugged, "There must be a reason why you think it's him",

The thing is - Pyros. Other than the burns, there was nothing that could identify him from across a battlefield. No symbol that he wore, no weapon that he carried, no defining scars that could not be hidden beneath robes.

"Because. When he saw me; Barnabas; the ship, he acted very peculiar, as if he knew of us" Herodotus said, "He stood right there" he gestured to where the lycaon was stood, his nose now resting in the hole once again. "Then, he got in a row boat" Herodotus looked down the beach, "And, he rowed out to a small Athenian ship anchored a hundred or so metres out" he looked over, at the sea.

"A Spartan on a an Athenian ship" Kassandra asked,

"An Athenian spy on an Athenian ship" Eos told her, "Which way did he go",

"He went that way" Barnabas said, pointing south-west. Kassandra raised her brow - so, anywhere,

"We sent a couple of the crew to one of the peaks of the mountains" Herodotus nodded towards it, "They say it was heading towards the Scavengers Coast". Kassandra looked to Eos,

"What's over there", Eos had shrugged,

"Fancy dropping me off so I can find out".

Laelaps hacked from behind them.

***

"Remember who it is you serve Lagos" Deimos said as he looked down at the man from his horse,

"How... how will I-I let you know" Lagos didn't look at him, "About the...",

"Oh, do not worry Lagos, I'll be back" Deimos smiled.

As long as Kleon had a hand in Lagos' business, he'd stick around.

However, his next feat lay in Tegea.

A place, which Deimos rode in to just after night fell, was said to be the oldest and most powerful city in Arkadia.

Technically, it should have welcomed the strong with open arms.

Except, Deimos had never liked it there and, the people liked him even less.

It was also the place Eos had told him she was pregnant.

And, as he passed the boundary of the city, he almost felt a want to leave.

It had been during the winter when Eos had not returned home. She'd gone out, to a blacksmith and just, never came back.

And, back then, when she had not wanted to be found, she wasn't.

Unless a lycaon was looking out for her.

Laelaps had left a trail when Eos hadn't. And then, when he'd got closer to Tegea, he'd lost that trail. Eos had obviously realised what the lycaon was trying to do but, once he'd passed through, it was the lycaon who had turned him around.

She had been at the Sanctuary of Athena Polias, sat up in the greaves.

It was then she had told him. And, after listening to the day she'd had - which may have just been as stressful as his - he just accepted it. There was nothing else he could have done. They had been stupid and now, they would suffer for it.

And then, as much as he tried to forget it, as much as he longed for what they'd had before - even after she'd told him what she would do - which he'd accepted as well, which he should have berated her for, which he should have told someone about - everything spiralled out of control and now, they were here and...