Chapter 26

Jasmine

Blinking rapidly I stared down at the man I loved with all my heart. As much as I loved him and wanted to be with him, I couldn't think about marrying him right now. We were both so damaged and needed to heal before we thought about starting a life together.

Where was this coming from? It seemed so spontaneous I wasn't sure if he'd truly thought it through. I knew the answer he was expecting, but I wasn't sure I could give it to him. At least, not today I couldn't.

He had been so hopeful when he asked, but the longer I took to answer, the more his smile fell.

"I-I...um," my words came out jumbled and sorrowfully insufficient for the life changing question he just asked me.

"This is crazy," I blurted. Belatedly realizing how that sounded I asked, "What I mean is, have you really thought about this Ezekiel?"

Appearing offended he answered, "Of course I have Jasmine. It may seem sudden to you, but I've wanted to ask you that question for a long while."

Standing to his full height he ran a hand over his face. "It's pretty obvious that you're not as excited about the prospect of marriage as I am, but I thought it was different now. I guess I read the signals wrong. It still isn't the right time apparently."

Placing my hands on his chest I said, "You know, you're great at guilt tripping." I gave him a sly smile and saw he was fighting back one of his own.

He narrowed his eyes at me as he defended, "That's not what I'm doing you little minx."

"Sure," I teased.

He growled and slipped his arms around my waist, causing me to squeal in surprise.

"I'm serious baby. Why won't you marry me?" He asked sounding discouraged. His big hands gently caressed my back and the side of my waist.

"I will marry you. I just...I don't want your proposal to be spur of the moment. We both just shared our darkest memories and we're probably feeling overly emotional. Plus, we still have to deal with Charles. We don't want to make any big decisions based off of what we're currently feeling. Let's sleep on it and see where our heads are at tomorrow," I suggested.

Ezekiel's piercing eyes evaluated me for a short time before he nodded silently. With his arms around me it was difficult to think straight. I was proud of myself for being able to get all that out.

"Alright honey. We'll see how we're feeling tomorrow once our heads are cleared," he agreed with a half smile.

I attempted to cheer him up. "Trust me, you don't want to be tied to me just yet. I'm..." I shook my head trying to come up with the right words.

"Amazing," he finished for me. "Aside from my mother," he said with a warm smile, "you are the most understanding person I know. Many people would judge me and hate me for what happened to Chris, but you don't. You're supportive and so compassionate. Contrary to what you think, I can't wait to start my life with you."

I could tell he loved his mother very much by the way he spoke about her. That made his compliment that much sweeter.

"I'd like to meet your mother one day," I smiled up at him.

"You will. I know she'll love you as much as I do. But, back to my proposal," he redirected as he moved some hair out of my face. "It's true I hadn't planned on doing that tonight or any time soon specifically. I'd been waiting for some sort of sign or indication that you were ready and I thought I got that tonight, but it looks like I got a little ahead of myself. I'm sorry for bombarding you like that. You probably feel like I'm rushing you," Ezekiel let go of me and rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly.