The Mirrors of Elangir chapter 10

Start from the beginning

Rymad harrumphed. "I think they're sufficiently civilised to know the difference between glass and gems. They'll want a good price for any materials we buy. And we'll have to be careful how we deal with them, if we don't want to end up like those Mazoreans." Rymad looked at the officers, as though inviting their support, and then gazed at Uncle and me. "This decision would be a lot easier if I knew what was at stake."

"This ship and the lives of everybody on it," said Uncle.

Rymad scowled. "Those are at stake even on a trip around Symeera Harbour. I think it's time you told us exactly what you're hoping to find in Elangir."

"An Elangic artefact," said Uncle calmly.

"The northern coasts of Elangir are littered with them - most not worth the bother of finding, never mind bringing back to Asdanund." Rymad poured himself another cup of wine, pointedly not offering any to us. He drained it and set the cup on the table. The click was very loud in the sudden silence. He leaned forward, elbows on the table. "Let me put it this way. Tell me what you're looking for that's worth the lives of eight men and all the damage to my ship, or I give the order to turn about and head back to Mulkara."

Uncle returned his stare. "You can't do that. We have a contract."

"Then I'll see you in the commercial court in Symeera. But on this ship, my word is law."

Uncle's jaw clenched. To me, he said, "We need to discuss this."

As we stood, still unsteady from the ordeal of the storm, Rymad said, "I wouldn't spend very long discussing it, if I were you."

Back in the cabin, I let Uncle curse and rant about Rymad and how nobody seemed to be interested in plain, honest dealing these days. He calmed down after a few minutes - the storm must've taken a lot of the fire out of him.

"So what are we going to do?" I asked.

He sagged onto the chest. "Nothing we can do. Only let Rymad drag us back to Mulkara and hope we can stay out of sight of our creditors long enough to get back on our feet."

"I can't believe he'd consider breaking the contract," I said. "Ships and captains live and die by their reputations. When people hear that Rymad's not a man of his word..."

Uncle sighed. "You sound just like your father. There was a time when that was true, but the war's made cowards of more than a few of us. Unless we could prove it in court, it'd be our word against his. Without any profit from the expedition, we can't afford to go to court, and even if we could, that'd make it easier for our creditors to find us."

I frowned. "But Rymad doesn't know that."

"Maybe not. Or maybe he's picked up enough of the crumbs to figure it out - maybe that's why he's threatening to break the contract."

My throat went dry. "What about Shanu?"

"What about her?" He shrugged. "I'm sorry, lad, but this venture was always a big gamble. Best if she thinks you were lost at sea."

I shook my head. "I can't do that to her."

"If you go back to Symeera now, her father will have you arrested."

I wasn't so sure of that, as it would be him who'd break our engagement, not me - but Shanu would be heartbroken either way. "Why can't we just tell Rymad about the -" I stopped myself from saying mirror. "About what we're looking for?"

He gestured to the door. I limped over to it and, as quickly as my tired arms would allow, snapped the bolt back and whipped it open. As I'd hoped, nobody was standing outside. I closed the door and refastened the bolt.