Chapter Ten

All to quickly Nenya was forced to return to reality. Peter led her back to the castle where Lucy spotted them in the winding halls.

"Peter! Nenya?" She called out.

"It's alright." Peter said, "We are going to figure this out."

"What is going- Nenya? Peter?" Susan was there now.

Peter sighed. "Since we are all up we may as well talk this over now. Let's have some tea and sort it out in the garden."

Susan nodded. Not saying anything.

Lucy grinned. "Told you." She said smiling at Nenya.

When they were seated in the garden no one spoke at first, then Peter stood up.

"Where did you get the necklace Nenya?" He asked.

"King Lune." She said, then quickly. "It was my father's. King Lune only gave it to me after my father died. I don't know where my father got it."

Susan nodded. "Perhaps King Lune knows?"

"Doubtful," Peter answered, then turning to Nenya. "Did your father ever say anything about the necklace, anything at all?"

"I don't think..." Nenya trailed off as she thought back through any time she remembered seeing her father with the necklace. "Wait." She shut her eyes and bit the insides of her cheeks as if trying to grip a thought. "Maybe?"

"What do you remember?" Susan asked calmly.

"I think it was a poem. He used to write them and tell them to me before bed." She thought a moment longer. "This one could be about the necklace though."

 Queen of snow and ice

to whom traitors pay the price.

frozen heart split in shards

powers scattered across the land

Queen of blood and power

enemies flee, filled with terror

The queen shall reign across the land

all is controlled by her hand.

"I don't really know what it means," Nenya said. "Honestly I'm surprised I remember it all. I think there was another verse but that was so long ago..."

"It's alright," Peter said. "We can figure the rest out later if it's important."

"It sounds important," said Susan frowning.

Peter sighed. "Alright. What are we going to do about Edmund though? He'll never see reason while the Witch is involved."

Nenya frowned and seemed to grow a bit smaller. 

"It's not your fault!" Peter said quickly. "He'll understand eventually. We just have to-"

"Were you going to invite me to the party?" 

"Edmund!?" Lucy spun around to see her brother behind you.

"Uhh, we thought you should sleep if you could," Peter said. 

"Can't sleep," Edmund said. "What are you all-" he stopped as he saw Nenya on the bench. "Nenya?" he scowled. "What is she doing out here. She should be in one of the cells! What are you all doing?"

"Ed calm down," said Susan putting a hand on his shoulder. "Nenya hasn't actually done anything. We are trying to figure out where the necklace came from."

"It doesn't matter!" Edmund spat, shrugging Susan's hand off his shoulder. "It's her necklace. She's dangerous! Why can't you all see it? You were all ready to see reason a few hours ago! She must be using some sort of magic to convince you all otherwise!"

"Edmund!" Peter said sharply. "Leave her alone. We are trying to solve the problem."

"I will not be quiet!" Edmund was yelling now. "You lot just can't see how dangerous she is because you're too close to her."

"No Ed." Lucy was saying now. "You must give her a chance. She hasn't done anything to betray our trust yet."

"She's one of the Witch's lot! Why can't you see it?" Edmund continued. "We can't trust her one bit! The Witch herself seemed kind at first."

"Well, you'd be the one to know that, now wouldn't you Ed." Peter yelled back. "None of the rest of us took up with the Witch and her lot!"

"Peter..." Susan warned.

"We all forgave Edmund!" Lucy said. "That's all in the past. Why are we fighting about it now?"

Peter didn't stop though. "Why should we trust you more than her? She hasn't betrayed us."

"That was a mistake!" Edmund screamed back. "Do you know how much time I've spent wishing I could go back and change it. Sometimes I wish the Witch would've killed me properly. Then you lot would be sorry and you wouldn't hate me so much!"

"No one hates you, Edmund." Susan said gently. "We've put all that behind us."

"Have you?" Edmund asked.

"Stop it!" Lucy yelled. "Just stop fighting. Please."

"Stay out of it Lucy!" Peter said his voice hard. 

Nenya curled up smaller. She really never should have come back.

"Maybe you just don't want Nenya around because she hasn't done anything wrong but you did!" Peter said, meeting his brother's angry glare.

"You would think that!" Edmund yelled back. "You're so deeply in love you can't even see what's right in front of you."

"Shut up!" 

"I won't! You can't make me even if you are High King!"

"Peter," Nenya said. Her voice was quiet but they all heard it. "This is why I shouldn't have come back."

"She's right!" Edmund said, walking towards Nenya. 

"Stay away from her Edmund. You're the one causing the problem." Peter said stepping towards his brother.

"Make me." Edmund taunted. "You can't push me around like all the others."

"Edmund," Peter warned.

"Boys stop!" Susan screamed, realizing what was about to happen.

Lucy grabbed Edmund's arm but he shook her off as he swung his fist at Peter.

Peter lunged forward grabbing Edmund by the collar and preparing to throw him to the ground.

"Peter!" Nenya stepped forward and tried to pull Edmund away from his brother. "Stop!"

"Get out of the way Nenya!" Peter tried to throw Edmund down but hit Nenya instead as she tried to push the two apart.

Lucy rushed to Nenya while Susan pushed the boys further away from each other.

The garden was suddenly silent.

"Are you okay?" Lucy asked.

Nenya picked herself up. "I'm fine." then she turned and walk away down the path towards the castle.

Lucy followed her quickly and Susan came after them, stopping only to say.

"You better fix this mess." to her brothers.

The boys didn't move or speak, just stared into each other's eyes.