Chapter Five

Nenya spent the next week mostly in her room, avoiding Edmund and Peter. Although she still had to leave for the riding lessons she had stupidly agreed to with Peter. She still talked with Lucy and Susan, not avoiding them as much, but still, she hadn't been very social that week.

On the first morning of the new week, she awoke before the sun was up to the sound of someone banging on her door.

"Go away!" she shouted. "It's far to early to get up!" she crawled back under her blankets.

"Nenya! You just must get up!" it was Lucy's voice. "The Autumn Ball is at the end of the week and we have so much to prepare for. You don't even have a proper gown!"

Nenya sighed. King Lune had always attended to ball each Autumn, bringing his young son, Prince Corin, with him.

She hadn't realized living here would mean she would be attending.

She got out of bed and opened the door. "I'm attending the Ball?" she rubbed her eyes and started pulling her sleep-frizzed hair back.

"Of course." Lucy laughed. "You'll have to dance and be there for the feast."

"Dance?" Nenya was certainly awake now. "I hate dancing."

"Oh come on." Lucy pushed her way into the room. "I've seen you dancing a million times!"

"Yeah.. but not Ball dancing. Not with a partner." Nenya said then she stuck out her tongue. "And especially not in a ballgown." 

Lucy laughed. "Oh come on, it will be fun, I promise. Besides," she smiles mischievously. "Princes Cor and Corin will be attending."

Nenya rolled her eyes. "If I have a choice I'll dance with... neither, thank you." she laughed as well though.

"Come on." Lucy motioned to the door. "We haven't a moment to lose."

                                                                           *               *               *

"Let me just lace you up." Susan reached forward, fastening the buttons and laces on Nenya's pink and white gown. "It fits perfectly!"

Nenya examined herself in the mirror. She did look pretty.

Lucy gasped as she came around the corner. "You look absolutely stunning!" she exclaimed, grinning from ear to ear.

Nenya smiled and rolled her eyes. "I'm nothing to you and Susan."

Susan's long dark hair was braided elaborately on her head with pale flowers woven into it. Her deep green dress was modest and yet flattering. It's color complimented her eyes, skin, and hair in a way that made her unforgettable.

Lucy's dress was a dark orange, falling just to her ankles. Her hair fell loose down her back, except for a small braid running down the very back of her head. Her cheeks were rosy from the cool air and she wore little makeup.

Susan blushed but composed herself quickly. "It's different for you Nenya. You rarely take the time to dress up, as Queens Lucy and I spend much of our time like this."

Nenya laughed. "It's true."

Lucy looked out the window. "It's almost sunset. We had better go down."

Susan nodded and led the way to the door.

Nenya took a deep breath, preparing herself, then she raised her chin and followed Susan. If she had to attend the Ball she was going to enjoy it.