Chapter Six

Nenya held her head high, descending the tall staircase into the ballroom below. She was doing it, she was actually doing it.

Then she tripped.

"AH!" she slid down the last few steps and quickly stumbled back to her feet. "I'm fine!" she quickly assured Susan and Lucy, who had raced down the last few steps. "Just not used to these shoes."

It wasn't totally true, her ankle hurt, but she couldn't leave now. It was much to late for that. She followed the Queens to the center of the room, there, they and the Kings spoke momentarily before the dancing commenced.

Nenya had been about to step to aside, and avoid the main dance when someone tapped her shoulder.

"May I have this dance?"

Nenya turned to see the sparkling, mischievous eyes of Prince Corin of Archenland. "Corin!" she laughed. "Good to see you."

Corin laughed. "You too, I've missed you since you left." He held out his hand, "So, about that dance?"

Nenya laughed. "Sure." ignoring Susan's smile Nenya took Corin's hand and followed him onto the dance floor.

"So, how has Narnia been?" Corin asked.

Nenya shrugged. "It hasn't been horrible, I don't feel like I belong though."

As they weaved back and forth on the dance floor Corin smiled. "You could always come back you know."

Nenya smirked. "Miss me."

Something flickered in Corin's eyes for a moment, but it quickly disappeared and his eyes flashed as he smirked right back. "You wish."

They both laughed. Nenya let her mind wander with her feet, as they glided across the dance floor, but then, like her thoughts, her feet took an abrupt turn as she tripped over Corin's.

Right as she was about to hit the floor two hands caught her.

"Thanks." she gasped, looking up and expecting to see Corin's smirking face. But he wasn't alone.

"Peter." Corin nodded to the High King.

"Corin." Peter nodded back, then turning to Nenya he asked, "You okay?"

Nenya nodded. "Just embarrassed," she said, trying laughing it off.

Peter looked at her for a long moment, then nodded. "Alright." as he began to walk away he turned. "I have to give a speech, save a dance for me though, will you?"

Caught up in the moment, she smiled. "I'd like that."

Peter nodded, smiled back, then kept walking.

Corin elbowed her. "I see how it is." He smirked.

"Shut up!" She elbowed him back. "It's only right to dance with the King."

"Sure," Corin laughed "Whatever helps you sleep at night." then, still laughing, he motioned for his twin brother, Cor and his friend Aravis, to join them. 

Nenya rolled her eyes but smiled as she greeted her old friends, waiting for Peter's speech to begin.