5 - The Paris of Negros

It was time to say goodbye.

I shifted my weight from foot to foot, unsure of how to end this unexpected companionship.

"So, I guess this is it?" I said with a toying inflection, hoping it would mask how awkward I felt. I was never good at hellos and goodbyes, after all.

"Yeah," Rhys breathed out, looking at me through his hooded eyes as he rubbed his neck. "Is this also the part where I should ask for your number?"

I stilled, biting my lip. The idea was tempting at first, sweet even, that I considered it for a moment before the bigger part that made up the majority of my personality—the cautious and wary part—took over and rejected the idea. I wasn't the type of girl to casually give my number to a guy kasi, unless he's got his girl friends with him. Ayoko kasing nagpapadala sa spur of the moment, so as a principle, I simply avoid exchanging contacts. Better to clip the bud before it blossoms.

With a shake of my head, I said, "Why don't we leave this memory as something nice and mysterious? If we meet again despite not sharing contacts, won't that be more fun? Parang destiny lang," I joked.

His brows raised, but he didn't look surprised, not really. It was a look of intrigue.

Rhys chuckled. "You don't disappoint, Taft kid. You have so many wild ideas in your head. It must be pretty loud there."

"Sinabi mo pa," I said. "So, I guess this is it then. Thanks for accompanying me, ha. Ingat ka rin papuntang DSB. You're gonna love it there."

"To you, also," he said, casually tapping my cap, causing it to cover my eyes. I removed it and lightly hit him with it in the arm, making him laugh again.

"I'm off, then. Ciao, bitch!" natatawa kong paalam, sabay talikod na para sumakay ng jeep.

Before climbing in, I looked at him one last time to commit his face to memory. As he looked back at me with the sunniest of smiles, his hair free and dancing with the wind, I almost held my breath. For a second, I considered breaking my principle. Do something I'd never done before. Actually listen to my friends for once. Because I had the faintest feeling that I might regret not maintaining contact, but before that thought could take root and give rise to an action I'd regret later on, I boarded the jeep, intent on sealing this as a fond memory instead.

As the jeep rode by, I looked at his figure getting smaller and smaller as we drove on.

His smiling face was the image etched on my face as he retreated and disappeared from my sight. In my head, I was already calling him as the icon of Bacolod, and I realized why I was so eager to cut this friendship off way too prematurely. Maybe deep inside, the reason why I didn't wanna know him more was because I was afraid that any more would stain this memory. I didn't wanna meet him again, only to realize he wasn't entirely the guy I thought him to be. Ayoko ng disappointments, so I settled with what's safe. I opted for the magic of mystery na lang.  It was much easier and better to pretend he was the city of smile himself, and not someone that can potentially turn into someone else later on.

***

I dropped off at Cafe 1925 where I waited for Kei, another artist friend of mine that lives here in Negros. Habang hinihintay ko siya at 'yong kaibigan niya, I ordered some desserts and then videocalled Shane, Ance, and Ate Via, another friend namin na writer.

I told them all about Rhys: how I met him, how he joined my trip, what we talked about. As expected, kinikilig sila sa mga kwento ko. Especially when I showed them our photos. And as expected, naiinis sila sa 'kin because I didn't ask for his social media accounts.

"Oh, my God, babe! Why did you let the chance go?" Shane complained. "Told you you'll meet someone there! Serendipity na, pinakawalan mo pa!"

"Grabe. Your last words to him were 'Ciao, bitch?' You called him a bitch and he only laughed it off? He sounds fine to me! Sayang," Ate Via added, shaking her head at me like she was so disappointed.

"Callie, Callie, Callie. Si Callie ka nga," Ance finished, clicking her tongue. "Hay nako, bro. No surprise there talaga."

"So what happened when you said you didn't wanna give your number?" Shane asked again, sounding too eager.

"He didn't press for it. Cool lang siya and said I don't disappoint."

"Oh," Ate Via said. "He's probably not used to asking for a girl's number twice. I'm not sure if you did the right thing. Kasi on one hand, you proved na you're really different from the rest of the girls he met. On the other hand, there's no guarantee you'll meet again." She suddenly stopped, her eyes widening. "Oh, my God! Nakaisip na 'ko ng isusulat sa next book ko!"

She meant the third book in #Duh series. The first two books were #NoticeMe and Dope AF, parehas epistolary.

"Oh, my God! What's the title gonna be?" Ance asked, excitement coloring her voice.

"Ciao, Bitch!" Ate Via responded, her eyes igniting with a spark that seemed to show the ideas running through her head. "I'll use this as the set-up. Tapos real time ulit kaya baka matagalan ang update. What do you think?"

"Go na 'yan! Dali, excited na 'ko, Ate!" Shane said.

Napatawa na lang ako when they prodded me for my permission. "Go lang."

And that cemented it. The call was terminated when Kei and her friend, Len, arrived and started my "DIY" tour around Silay courtesy of Len.

We walked around the streets and took photos there while Len was giving me some background about Silay and the tale where they got their name. Then we visited Balay Negrense first where I learned so much about the history of the family that lived there. What amazed me the most was the table where the updated family tree was placed. It almost felt equal parts intrusive and humbling to walk down their history and be privy to their memories. It was a new experience by itself.

After the tour, we headed to Hofileña Heritage House, another living museum built in the 1930s. This house was different than the first because it also depicted the personal and extensive art collections of Don Ramon Hofileña.

Our tour guide was funny and very eloquent as he showed us the different paintings and sketches of the national artists. There were also ming vases here, old pocketbooks, a Spanish keg, and even an intimate portrait of the curator himself.

This was where I saw the smallest doll. I used the magnifying glass to see the face of the doll and despite myself, I found myself grinning as I remembered Rhys.

We moved on from the doll soon enough because the guide introduced us the pieces of tektite stones that Ramon collected. Apparently, it was a meteorite—if that's not rare enough, it was even more exhilarating to know that he was one of the only two who owned tektites in the world. What a feat, right?

"This is a tektite," the guide said as he lifted the stone to our view. "Hold it. Then wish on it. Feel the magic of the universe in your fingers."

My friends and I took one stone each and even made jokes of keeping one and secretly bringing it home. The guide, of course, made sure we wouldn't and began to spout more funny jokes about what to wish for.

As the laughter soon receded and we fiercely rubbed the tektites on our skin to "absorb" the lucky energy of the universe, I thought long and hard for what to wish for.

Honestly, I was content with my life. I had nothing else to want because I was already happy with what I have. I had a loving family, good friends, and a promising career. What more could I ask for?

Feeling grateful for what I do have, I settled on the lone simple thought dancing in my mind instead.

I closed my eyes and wished for a fulfilling year for me and everybody I love. May it be a fruitful one.