[ 27 ]

Antonio pushed the door to Spencer's apartment open. She had texted him a few minutes earlier telling him that the door was unlocked. The second he stepped foot into the apartment, a massive black dog was barking viciously and lunging at him.

"Shit!" Antonio cursed, hastily pulling the door shut between himself and the dog.

"Bones! No, Bones!" Jack rushed to grab the collar around the dog's neck. "Down, Bones! Get down!" Spencer whistled from the hallway. The large black pit bull instantly stopped barking but remained at the door, growling from deep in his chest.

"Here, Bones." Spencer called, pointing to the floor next to her. Bones moved towards the blonde woman.

"Why does he listen to you?" Jack frowned as he went to sit on the couch. He picked up a ball and tossed it down the hallway. Bones sprinted down the hall after the toy.

"Because I don't talk like I'm trying to praise him. Be assertive." Spencer walked to the door, where Antonio hesitantly cracked it open. "It's okay, Antonio. You just scared him."

"I scared him." He repeated, muttering a few curse words in spanish under his breath. "What the hell was that?"

"This is Bones." Jack answered with a bright smile, rubbing Bones's head as the dog brought the ball back to him. "He's Spencer's new dog."

"Technically he's our dog." Spencer corrected her little brother. Antonio watched the large pit bull grab ahold of a rope toy and practically pull Jack off of the sofa. Bones was a large solid black pit that stood a few inches above Jack's knees. His ears had been cropped and scars speckled his muzzle and neck. His piercing yellow eyes flickered to Antonio even while he pulled on the toy.

"I think Jack picked him a lot because of his story." Spencer quietly spoke to Antonio, stepping closer to him so that only he would hear her. "He was born into a dog fighting ring. He was rescued when he was around a year old by some guy who was in the Army. He trained Bones well. But the guy died a year ago in a car accident. The family didn't want the dog so they surrendered him to the animal shelter."

"He looks.... cute."

"He's the sweetest thing, Antonio." Spencer placed her hand on his arm. "And Jack loves him already."

Spencer's phone buzzed on the counter. She moved to retrieve it.

"Antonio, come here." Jack waved the detective over. Antonio let out a heavy sigh, taking hesitant steps towards Jack and his dog. "He's really good at reading body language. If you show that you're scared of him, he'll react poorly." Antonio sat down on the edge of the couch next to Jack. Carrying a tire toy in his mouth, Bones wagged his tail and padded over to Antonio. The detective put his hand out to allow Bones to sniff his hand. The tire toy fell from Bones's mouth and he stuffed his nose into Antonio's hand. "He likes you." Jack smiled. Antonio rubbed Bones's head.

"Can you take Bones to your room, Jack?" Spencer asked him, sitting her phone down on the island in the kitchen. She hopped up to sit on the counter.

"Come on, Bones!" Jack patted his leg as he moved towards his room. Bones happily followed him. Antonio stood up from the sofa and went to stand in the kitchen against the counter across from his partner.

"Wanna go to a bar downtown?" Spencer raised a brow at him. "Jay and Erin want to celebrate catching my stalker. Burgess, Ruzek, and Atwater are with them." Antonio silently pushed himself away from the bar and closed the small space between them. He leaned against the bar, his forearms resting alongside her thighs. Their eyes were locked together. A soft grin came to Spencer's lips.

"Why don't we just stay here and celebrate?" He suggested.

"With my little brother just down the hall?" She raised a brow at him. "I don't think so."