[ 26 ]

"What happened to your nose, Spence?" Ruzek asked as the blonde detective made her way through Intelligence with bags of takeout in her arms. She gave Ruzek a small smile and shook her head gently. Ruzek looked to Atwater then Olinsky. "Did anyone else see that?"

Antonio had noticed the cut across the bridge of her nose but he didn't say anything. He wanted someone else to make the first move. His eyes found Erin's. With the nod of her head, she stood to her feet and went to the break room.

"Hey, Spe—,"

"I don't want to talk about it, Erin." Spencer was quick to stop her. She looked up to her sister and shook her head. "I don't want to."

"Okay." Erin nodded her head once, getting the message that Spencer wanted to be left alone. Atwater, Jay, and Ruzek slipped into the break room past Erin. All of them were eager to get their food.

"You want me to whip some ass, Shorty?" Atwater offered as he searched one of the bags. He passed Jay the container with his name on it. Spencer put her hand on Atwater's arm as she passed him to leave, but she didn't answer him. Antonio stood in the doorway. Spencer didn't acknowledge him, which told him something really wasn't right. She went to her desk, carrying a shoe box Antonio recognized. She took a seat at her desk, scribbling something down on a pad of paper. Erin knocked on the door to Voight's office and motioned for him to come out into the bull pen. As the door opened, Spencer stood to her feet, placing her pen down on the desk.

"I have some evidence I'd like to turn over, Sarge." She told him, doing her best to keep her voice even and normal. "All of it is dated when I received the pictures, the flowers, the notes, all of it." Her hand rested protectively on the lid to the box. "I was given all the items in this box in the six months before I moved here to Chicago."

"You've been withholding evidence, Spencer?" Voight raised his brows.

"There are pictures of me that I didn't want anyone to see." She shifted in her spot uncomfortably. "But I need this to stop. I can't-I physically and mentally cannot take it anymore."

"Do you need to take a few days?"

"No." Spencer shook her head firmly. "I just want to work."

Voight nodded his head. The phone in his office rang so that's where he went. Spencer sat down at her desk. She pushed the shoe box aside and began to flip through the stack of papers on her desk. Next to the stack of papers, her phone vibrated.

From: Antonio Dawson
<"Is there anything I can do for you?">

Spencer looked over to her partner and gently shook her head before putting her phone face down on the desk.

———

Antonio absentmindedly rubbed his arm. His eyes flickered over to his partner. She was sitting in the passenger seat of his car, her eyes focused out the window. Her fingers were curled securely around her coffee. They had been silent since leaving he precinct. It was a slow day for the Intelligence Unit so they were doing rides around the city, waiting for something to come up.

"Quit looking at me like that." Spencer told him.

"I'm just worried about you, Spence." Antonio sighed softly. Brown eyes scanned the road and sidewalks as he drove through the city. "So is everyone else."

"I'll be okay." She whispered, taking a small sip of her coffee.

"Okay isn't enough for me, Spencer." Antonio pulled the car over and put it into park. "Just being okay isn't how you should live your life."