[ 36 ]

Spencer stood at the two-way mirror, arms crossed as she watched Ruzek and Atwater enter the interrogation room that Nick Russo was in.

"Agent Russo, I'm Detective Ruzek. This is Detective Atwater. Mind if we ask you a few questions?"

Russo glanced around, eyeing the walls of the room. Eventually, his gaze landed on the two way mirror.

"Go ahead."

"How long have you known Spencer Voight, Agent Russo?"

"Almost four years."

"When did you meet her?"

"When the task force was first assembled. We were partners."

Out of the corner of Spencer's eye, she could see her father turn his head to glance at her. She kept her eyes on Russo. Her stomach began to twist up into knots.

"Partners?" Atwater repeated.

"Yeah. Once our superior found out, we were reassigned within the unit."

"Why did the relationship end?" Ruzek shifted the topic. Spencer wasn't sure if he did it intentionally, but she was thankful for it.

Russo let out a breath, checking the time on his watch.

"Do you have somewhere to be?" Atwater asked him.

"As a matter of fact, I do. I have an appointment in a half an hour."

"We won't take up too much of your time, Agent Russo." Ruzek gave him a tight smile.

"Right."

"So what was the reason?" Atwater leaned against the wall, crossing his arms. "Can't imagine work got in the way. You both worked the same job."

"She didn't want to marry me." He cleared his throat, shaking his head. "But you know, I-I should've expected it. She was with a guy before me for a long time. A really long time. They were going to get married, but things fell through. Or at least that's what she always told me. Anytime I tried to press for more definitive answers, I would get shut down."

"Did she ever mention his name?" Ruzek had an idea of who the man was Russo was talking about, he just wanted confirmation.

"No, just that he was European. Never liked talking about him. Told me things were uh, that things ended messy with him."

"Was she always secretive during your relationship?" Atwater's question made Spencer tense.

Russo started to shake his head but then stopped.

"Spencer is.... She is a very secretive person. If she doesn't want someone to know something, they will not know it until she wants them to."

"What does that mean?" Ruzek furrowed his brow.

"You've worked with her a while, Detective Ruzek. I'm sure you've seen it." Russo didn't elaborate anymore as he clasped his hands together on the metal table.

Spencer turned to make her way towards the door, her eyes catching Antonio's. He stood by the door with his arms crossed. He was listening to the entire interrogation.

"She's been a lot of places. Seen a lot of things. Done a lot of things. People like that.... They don't come out unscathed."

–––

Spencer leaned against a wall, eyes closed and the heels of her palms resting against her forehead.

"Hey."