[ 24 ]

The next morning, Antonio found Spencer in the kitchen, pouring two cups of coffee into black mugs. She was dressed for work in a pair of fitting light blue skinny jeans, boots, and a black long sleeve.

"We didn't talk last night, you know." He moved to stand next to Spencer, leaning his back against the counter. Her spoon was placed aside after she finished stirring in the sugar and she lifted the mug up to her lips.

"I think our hot little make out session was a perfect talk." Spencer winked at him. "And you spent the night, which I am forever grateful for. I can actually sleep comfortably when someone's snoring in my ear."

"I did not!" Antonio widened his eyes at her.

"I'm teasing you." She laughed at him. "I need to get to the precinct. You need to go home and change and we can talk over dinner. How does that sound?"

"Like you're bossing me around." He grinned at her. He was content with this, with waking up to her making coffee before they went to work. "I like it."

"Good, 'cause you're gonna need to get used to it." Spencer moved away from him, taking her coffee cup with her. She picked up her purse and went to the front door. "I'm guessing we want to keep this away from everyone else."

"Yeah. At least for right now. Who all have you told?"

"Told what?" She crinkled her brows together.

"About your little crush on me." He grinned mischievously as he brought his coffee cup up to his lips. Spencer rolled her eyes at him but couldn't help to laugh herself.

"Just Erin and Burgess. And I'm guessing Erin told Jay since he came to the bar with you last night. But we don't have to tell them anything." Spencer pulled her front door open. "Lock it when you leave."

———

Spencer sat at her desk, scribbling notes on to a piece of paper. She had been at the precinct for the last hour with Jay, Erin, Atwater, Voight, and Olinsky. Jay and Erin had been whispering back and forth to each other, occasionally looking in her direction. The tip of her pen rested between her lips as she watched Antonio and Ruzek come up the stairs.

"Who are you lookin' at, gorgeous?" Ruzek grinned at her. The corners of her lips tugged up as she leaned back in her seat, pulling the pen from her lips.

"I like the way that jean jacket looks on you, Adam." She watched him take a seat at his desk. As badly as she wanted to look at Antonio, she needed to maintain an illusion that nothing between them was more than a professional relationship.

"Don't feed his ego, Spence." Jay shook his head. Spencer's phone vibrated on her desk. It was Nick Russo.

"Hey, Nick." She turned her back to the rest of the team.

"I'm sorry I left the way I did.... I just.... I knew staying in Chicago wouldn't be good for us. I still love you, Spence, and I know you don't feel that way. I didn't want you to be put on the spot like that but when you told me about your partner, I just turned into a bitch."

"It's okay, Nick. I can't talk right now about that. I'm at work."

"I know, I know. I was calling because I just wanted to make sure you were okay with me reaching out to your phone company about the calls and texts from Mathers."

"Do what you have to do, Nick." Spencer assured him. "If you need anything, call okay?"

"Thanks, Spence."

As the call ended, she turned around in her seat to face her desk. Spencer took a sip of her coffee, her eyes focusing on her phone that rested on her desk. Her attention was then shifted to Platt, who was walking a man dressed in a suit up the steps of Intelligence.