Chapter 49

Chapter 49
As dusk faded into night, the warm air turned cool and crisp. Riding two hours on a motorcycle through the Idaho and Utah mountains would be much more enjoyable during the day, but Cal didn't mind. Riding tandem with Kelly would make up for being unable to see most of the spectacular scenery.
It should have been a two-hour ride, but Cal trimmed 20 minutes off the trip by holding his speed steady at 10 miles an hour above the speed limit. The bright, burgeoning moon lit up the valley floor and illuminated the craggy mountain peaks. Making the trip in a convertible would've been better, Cal thought. At least he would've been able to talk with Kelly, maybe about something other than the most exciting day of their lives that was far from over. But then again, she probably wouldn't have hugged him for over an hour and a half straight.
Cal pulled into the empty parking lot and waited. Guy's instructions were to wait on a park bench on the backside of the pond at Sugar House Park. They were to make the drop by leaving the chemical samples they found with a flash drive of Kelly's pictures of the chemical equations in a paper bag. Cal found a couple of rocks by the water's edge and put them in the bag, weighing it down.
They sat on the bench and waited for their contact.
Kelly broke the silence.
"You know what's strange about this whole story?"
"What isn't strange about it?" Cal countered.
"No, there's definitely one thing that stands out to me as strange."
"What is it?"
"Well, I've lived in Statenville my whole life, and it is a tight-knit community. But when these kids died, it's like nobody cared. I just don't understand that."
"Maybe it's because it's part of Statenville's dirty little secret. Everybody seems to be hiding something."
"That's small town America, Cal. Everybody has their secrets, even the big city folks. But it's just more evident when you live in a small area and know everyone."
"Maybe. But this goes beyond something like the mayor having an affair with his secretary. This is something that somebody is willing to kill us over-and it feels like everybody. I just think-"
Cal abruptly ended his thought. A man wearing sweatpants and a windbreaker was approaching the bench.
They both got up so they wouldn't arouse suspicion, vacating the bench.
Cal and Kelly headed for the path that circled the lake. Cal looked back casually to see if the man was still there. He wasn't. Neither was the bag. The drop had been successful.
They walked back toward the parking lot and climbed on Guy's bike. The night was still young.