A Start

Deep in the forest of east Konoha lies a series of caves. Caves happen to the training ground of choice for the youngest anbu captain, who currently sending chakra pulses into the ground.

"All that training is paying off. My range has almost doubled in the past 4 months, but it's time for a break." An 8 year old Naruto Uzumaki stated as he picked up a scroll and unsealed a bento box and sat down on a boulder to eat.

"Morning kit *yawn* so you've been an anbu captain for six months now how is it going?" Kyuubi mumbled sleepily from inside Naruto's mind.

(Pretty good except for the fact that my team thinks I can tell the future.) Naruto mentally responded as he pops a piece of food in his mouth.

"Well you have to admit it is far more believable than 'do to an incident I became deaf and blind four years ago. Upon losing both senses my sense of touch became so sensitive that I can now see and hear through the vibrations around me. I can feel even the tiniest vibes from the organs in your body. Because of this, I can see a 3D image, inside and out, of a person including chakra coils. I can feel where anyone is in 800 meter radius, I can feel your lies and emotions, I can feel your internal injuries, and I can feel what jutsu your going to use before you use it' ... sorry, that's not exactly believable, but you should tell them eventually. Have you thought about when?" Kyuubi asked.

Naruto sighed, (When you say it like that of course no one will believe it. As far as telling them, I was thinking I'd wait until someone notices that there aren't any eyeholes in my mask.)

Kyuubi face planted in the blonde's mind, "They haven't noticed yet! What kind of anbu are they?" The fox yelled.

(Well it's not like anyone would expect a blind ninja.) Naruto laughs. He puts away his finished bento box and gathers up his stuff.

"Doesn't anyone find it a little weird that you tap a tuning fork while reading?"

(Not really. Apparently all captains have some strange quirk and tuning forks aren't that unusual in comparison. I'm actually called the 'normal' captain.) Kuuybi cringed, people think his kit can tell the future and likes to carry a tuning fork and no one thinks it's weird? What could possibly be off with the other captains?

To kyuubi the tuning fork thing isn't weird. In fact, Naruto needs the instrument in order to read. The vibes given off when you tap the fork help sharpen everything to the point where he can see the words in a book. Also Naruto can place the narrow end of the fork on a surface and it will enhance sound waves so he can hear things easier and from farther away. But no one except the Hokage knows.

He straps on his anbu regulation mask, which is a bat, his golden hair turns brown because of the seals on his mask. For people with unusual hair colors appearance changing seals are required to help keep their identities hidden. It was Naruto who recommended them to the hokage and they've been a requirement ever since.

He starts walking out of the cave.

Just before reaching the mouth of the cave he stops and whips out a tuning fork. He places the narrow end of the fork against the cave wall.

"Kit, what's up?"

"I need to see the old man now!" With that Naruto vanishes in a swirl of leaves

XXXXXXXXXX

Sarutobi is sitting at his desk glaring at a pile of paperwork wishing that it would just burst into flames.

"What I wouldn't give for a distraction right about now." Right on cue his favorite ANBU, Bat aka Naruto his surrogate grandson, appeared from a swirl of leaves.