Chapter Fifteen (REWRITTEN)

Avery couldn't remember opening her apartment door. In fact, she didn't remember Julie handing her a box of her new uniforms, the walk to the parking lot, the drive home, the climb to her front door—she had lost all that time, a thick fog clouding her memory. She just kept reminding herself that Sebastian was really real and how that may alter their relationship. It wasn't until one of the many unopened boxes that littered her apartment flew out of the pile and slid in front of her feet that she was even cognizant of her surroundings. Usually Milo would be the one to break her from her daze but the stress of moving to a new place currently had him MIA.

She eyed the cardboard rectangle warily, vaguely aware of what it was and what—who, rather, had thrown it at her. "Okay, okay... I still need paper and a pen," she pointedly said to the supposed empty space around her. As she bent down to retrieve it, another package, this one blue and white, landed beside her hand.

If Sebastian did indeed know what was in each box, unpacking was going to be a lot less work for her.

She glanced at her mattress, still not fully formed and released an aggravated huff. She would much rather sleep to have this conversation. Unfortunately for her, the progress had been minimal while she was gone and unpackaging blankets to sleep on the floor felt like more of a chore than what was in the brown box he insisted she open.

Minutes later, she had the game board spread neatly on the carpet, planchette sitting dead in the center. Hovering over a thick pad of paper, Avery's white knuckles held her ink pen at the ready. The little plastic piece began to glide across the beige board, landing for only a second on half a dozen different bold, black letters. She recorded each one on her notepad, briefly thankful Milo was still hiding and not swatting at the board piece.

I'm real, it spelled.

"Yeah." She gave a strangled scoff, "What are the odds?" She still couldn't believe it herself. Had she not met him, had she not let her emotions guide her to uproot her life, and had she not landed a job at the hospital so easily, this wouldn't be happening right now. That was all in not mentioning how this specific job had her working closely with his mother, Julie. If one little thing had been altered, both of their lives would have wound up very different.

What if he had chosen a different subway car?

What if she had chosen a different state?

What if Julie had never had him transferred to pediatrics?

"Are you okay?" She asked the board. Since she couldn't see Sebastain, the board was the only visual thing closely related that she could direct her question to. The planchette moved quicker now.

She spelled out, I remember everything.

A genuine smile lit up her features. "That's great though, right?" Avery ignored the heavy rock that had made its home in her stomach. She would be happy for him. This was good news, regardless of what future that may bring them.

D-I-S—the words came faster now and she was having a tough time keeping up with the planchette as it furiously whizzed across the board. If she chanced a glance at her writing, she would miss the next couple of letters. "Slow down, Sebastian. You're going too fast," she warned him. The tip of her tongue peeked through her lips as she concentrated on what she could discern.

Disconnect body mind can't find way back.

Her heart dropped, "Well, that's not what I expected." Maybe a part of her, a small part at least because she certainly had not been consciously aware of it until this last set of letters came through, had predicted he would see his body and just go. Just jump right back into it. It was logical. Instead, he was still here, talking with her, so obviously that wasn't what was going to happen. "How do we get you back then?"

IDK.

Avery closed her eyes, exasperated by the burden of the last twenty-four hours. "That makes two of us."

***

This time, Avery found Sebastian. It was a strange feeling. Usually he found her first. "Tag. You're it," she bumped his slouched shoulder.

Too deep in thought to be bothered, he didn't acknowledge her.

She placed a hand on his back and tried again, "Hey."

"You should tell my mom," was the only thing he said. His sight never wavered from the rugged landscape of Colorado that spread out before them.

Avery reared back in shock, "What?" There was absolutely know way she was going to tell anyone about her time with Sebastain. They would lock her away for sure! "Oh no, no, no, no, no! That is not happening!"

Since she had known him, he had never seemed anything besides happy. Not until now. Not until his eyes found hers with an icy anger that caused her to literally cringe. "And why not?"

"Do you understand how crazy that sounds? 'Hey Julie! By the way, I know your son! He's been the star of my dreams for months now. Kind of a jerk opening doors and playing songs on my radio but hey, what do you do? He's a ghost!' No way. She wouldn't believe me."

Sebastian couldn't agree. Julie was understanding and open-minded, he remembered that quite well. Even more so after her dad, his grandfather, passed away. She spent a pretty penny on the local medium. "She would though."

Avery stared at the ground with furrowed brows. "I don't know, Sebastian," she whispered. She wasn't convinced it was something anyone, even his mother, would believe. While she would do just about anything for her friend, this was a special instance where she would have to deny his request. Sebastian may think it's a good idea, but Avery only saw the possibility of bringing more pain to Julie and she didn't want that either.

His jaws ticked as he glared at her, his cold scrutiny making her regret her decision, no matter how right she thought it was. "I don't ask anything of you Avery. I've never asked anything of you! And the one thing I want—the one thing I need—you're going to say no? Every night I have been here. Here! Listening to your worries and your fears and your sad little life—I'm Avery, woe is me!" He blinked, rapidly, desperate to dispel any semblance of tears that may sneak out of lids. He was angry, yes, but more so frustrated. His mom needed to know he was still around, still trying to get back to her and now, closer than ever before. He could not communicate with her, or anyone, like he could with Avery. She was his only hope for a messenger. But he knew her well enough by now. He wouldn't be able to force her to do something she did not want to do, and she didn't want to do this. All because she was worried about being embarrassed? What a joke.

"God! You're so selfish, Avery! I'm done with this," he spat, tired of her shit and tired of her.

Faster than Avery could blink, Sebastian was gone, leaving her a lonely fish out of water.