Chapter 28: Laelia - Departure

Beginne am Anfang

Our Lord did not think this limitation fair either. A few years after the Second War he convinced the Council to vote against their original ruling. It was decided that women may join the Second and Third Orders, but not the other orders. My father has told me about these meetings many times. It has served as inspiration for me: how one person could change the set convictions of an entire group with the strength of his own conviction.

Faolan leads us to two horses that are already saddled, but with no possessions strapped onto them: "These are your mares for the journey."

The mares are beautiful: white, like all our other horses. Our mares will be our companions for the journey ahead. My people have never claimed possession over any horse, just like we do not own pets.

I gently touch my mare's face and allow her to nuzzle my neck.

"Her name is Swift Wind," Faolan tells me smilingly.

"She is beautiful."

I strap my armour and sack to the saddle. I play with Swift Wind's mane until I see Faolan climbing on his and then follow his example.

Aedan steers his horse and joins me at my side.

I give him an excited smile.

"I can't believe we are on our way!"

"Neither can I!"

My father pats my horse's neck: "She is a good horse."

"Now I must do my duty," he walks a few feet away.

He stretches his hands out in the air: "My dear people!"

Everyone falls silent.

"My dear people, we have gathered to see our Order off to the Mountains where they will fulfil our duty on our behalf. We have been called upon to defend Ligtland. It is the tradition that every generation of elves go to the Mountains and learn from our friends. Our Lord will join you at times and train you in your legacies. May your journey be safe and your time away fruitful. May the sun rise brightly for you! May the wind carry you and you always find water!"

Silence. No cheering greets his words as it would have been improper to do so, but the excitement in the air is tangible and electrifying.

"You are dismissed."

Faolan gives a sign and the company starts to move with the thunder of a thousand hooves. The column of blue marches forward, like a torrential river set to shatter all resistance after a prolonged drought. 

After an hour of silence, Aedan breaks it: "We are heading in Raven's Peak's direction."

"Obviously."

"Come, Laelia!" Aedan shouts before galloping off.

"Aedan!" I shout as I split off from the stream and follow him.

"Aedan, what on earth! You can't just run off," I scold as I attempt to catch up with him.

He doesn't answer but continues to gallop forth.

After a few minutes, I recognise the part of the forest that he is leading me into and I realise what he wants to do."

"Aedan, we do not have time!"

"We have to."

I sigh as I halt my horse at the familiar cluster of ceiba trees. The trees are naked until they stretch their limbs out over the canopy. Strangler figs bind the cluster of ceibas together and, contrary to the laws of nature, the species seem to coexist in harmony. This is the only place in the forest where the stranglers are tamed and civil. Creeping figs decorate the unit of trees and their stranglers.