8:36

Just my luck. Walking to school when I'm already late.

I took up my school items and headed out the door.

***********

By the time I got to school it was already the session before lunch. I opened the door to Mr. Taylor's Woodwork class and slowly stepped inside, hanging my head low.
"Ah, Ms. Valentine. So nice of you to join us once again."he wasted no time in calling me out for my lateness.
"I did tell you that if you're late for my class again you will have to serve a detention. Didn't I Ms. Valentine?"
"Yes sir, but I have a valid reason."
"It still doesn't allow you to come late to my class."
It seems pointless trying to come to an agreement with him so I just mumbled a 'sorry sir' and took my seat beside Elijah.
"Where have you been?"Those were the first words Elijah said to me.
"Hi Elijah. Nice to see you too."I rolled my eyes at him.
"I'm sorry. Hi Tori, how are you?"he smiled.
"I'm fine, thanks."
"Good to hear. Now, where were you?"his face switched from the smile to a frown very fast.
"I was at home Elijah. I had to take care of something."his eyes widened when I said this.
"Not a Malcolm problem. A smaller one."I saw him visibly relax.
"Oh."
"Nice to see that you notice us Tori." I turned my attention to the two boys who were sitting behind me, both giving me an ear to ear grin. I grinned back.
"I'm sorry you guys. Elijah took away my attention."
"It's ok. I'm used to that by now."Micheal answered on behalf of him and Vaughan.
"I only intervened because I had to remind Elijah about the thing."Vaughan said and gave Elijah a look.
"What thing?"he looked really confused.
"The thing."
"Oh, that thing."Elijah seem to finally realize what Vaughan was talking about.
"When can we discuss it?"they were talking like I wasn't even there.  Even Micheal was there nodding along.

Even he knew!

"What are you guys talking about."I had to find out. They can't be talking about something that is clearly important and not including me.
"Nothing for you to worry about."Elijah reassured.
"Come on Elijah, just tell me."I know I was being annoying but I have to know.
"Tori, don't worry about it."
"Tell meeee."he didn't even answer me he just turned to Vaughan.
"So, where are we going to discuss it?"
"I-"
"Tori Valentine. You will be serving your detention during your lunch period."Vaughan was cut off by Mr. Taylor stating my punishment. My eyes widened when what he said finally settled in my brain.
"What?! Sir, you can't take away my lunch period. It would be more suitable if I served it after school."I argued. He can't do that!

Can he?

"I'm only free during the lunch period Tori. If you wanted your lunch period, you wouldn't have come late to my class."he argued back.
"But sir."
"End of disscussion."
I looked to Elijah to see if he could help me. He only shrugged and mouthed 'sorry'.
I accepted the defeat and layed my head on the desk.
"Hey, cheer up. Detention isn't so bad."Elijah layed his head on the table also and whispered in my ear.
"You would know, wouldn't you?"I can't help but smile.
"I know a little about it."he smiled back.
We just stared at each other for awhile. Him looking at me and me looking at him.
"Sorry to interrupt again but, Elijah, I think it's best we meet lunch time."Vaughan stretched over his seat and tried to whisper in Elijah's ear. Keyword;

Tried.

I don't think they know that I heard them. I just played oblivious and kept quiet.
"Ok " Elijah whispered back. The bell rang at that moment and everyone gathered their things and filed out.
"I'll see you later."Elijah said that to me before he walked out the classroom with Vaughan and Micheal in tow.
"Let detention begin, please be seated Ms. Valentine."

************

Elijah's POV

Vaughan, Micheal and I  walked into the cafeteria and scanned the room for our friends. When we saw them at our regular table, we made our way towards them. They looked to be in a deep conversation.
"Hey guys, are you talking about the text message?"I asked as I sat down.
"Sshhh, lower your voice." Chelsea said in a low but harsh voice.
"I'm sorry. Jeez."I apologized and put my hands up in a nonthreatening way.
"It's ok, it's just that we're on edge, always looking over our shoulders."she sighed. DJ put a comforting hand around her waist and hugged her from the side.
"Why would you always be looking over your shoulder. It was just one text message."Micheal asked while stealing a fry from Shontae's tray.
"Actually.....we all got more."Damian whispered, looking over his shoulder as if someone was watching him.
"What do you mean you got more texts?"this conversation now had my full interest.
"I mean, we all got more text messages Elijah."Damian repeated himself.
At that, they all took out their phones and placed them on the table.
"Here, read mine first." Shontae slid her phone across the table.