Chapter Nine (REWRITTEN)

Sebastian sat on the couch staring at the fresh painting in the corner. He frowned, appalled that was what he actually looked like. "I need a haircut," he mumbled to no one in particular, since no one would hear him. Sometimes, being a ghost was lonely.

Although Milo was curled up on the back of the sofa, Sebastian supposed he would do. "It is too long, right?" He asked the feline. "That's not normal... I don't like the curls. Dudes shouldn't have curly hair, man."

Milo lifted his head to yawn, content to ignore him and continue his evening slumber.

"At least you're not growling," Sebastian sighed. Ever since Avery's dream, he had come to the conclusion that he missed talking to someone. He hadn't had a reason to speak before meeting her but now he yearned for more conversation. In a moment of desperation he had settled for Milo, who, ironically, couldn't speak to Avery either. The cat made for a poor conversationalist though, and Sebastian finally resigned to the silence.

Studying the painting more, he had to admit that it was good. He hadn't actually viewed himself before so he couldn't say how accurate it was. He had never tried to see his reflection in a mirror, but he had heard it was possible. However, Avery had been hogging the bathroom for over an hour now so he couldn't use the only mirror in the whole apartment even if he wanted to.

When she did finally emerge, his jaw hit the floor.

Dressed in a black one-piece mini-skirt, Sebastian's eyes immediately zeroed in on her delicately exposed shoulder. He glared at the dreadful thing like it had offended him in some way because it had. Why was she wearing that?

Looking further did not alleviate his anxiety in the slightest. The dress clung to her form as if tailored especially for her, defining every curve flawlessly. Her bare legs appeared shapely and soft, accented by her high heels and the knot in his stomach suddenly jumped to his chest with a searing burn.

Her blonde hair flowed in waves down one side of her head and just an inch or so past her chest. Smoky eye shadow, liner, mascara, whatever it was called, brought out the fierce blue in her eyes and he gritted his teeth in frustration.

He was going to have to keep a very close watch over her tonight.

His shoulder sagged in defeat as he followed her down the stairs. He could have kept her locked inside her apartment, safe from the smoldering looks from men she was bound to get, but denying her whatever contentment this night at the club brought was not his place. He had no claim over her. She was human and he was... what he was.

The reality of the situation washed over him in melancholy waves, these new, powerful feelings disheartening. Was this what jealousy felt like? When had he caught enough feelings to be jealous? He hadn't chosen to be a lap dog, it just happened out of circumstance.

Right?

He sent a deathly stare to the twins that greeted her. Tia and... Tasha? Tessa? He didn't know and he didn't care. They were loud and wore too much make-up and too little clothes and he immediately understood that his prior fears were warranted: There would be trouble tonight. Now, whether that trouble would be for Avery or him, he couldn't be sure.

Their heels licked and clacked against the sidewalk. Not that Sebastian could hear it over the ear-piercing, nasally voices of the twins but every so often they did take a breath before continuing to spurt out meaningless nonsense. He was now living solely for those quiet milliseconds. As they got closer to their destination and the bass from the club grew louder, he knew those precious moments were at an end.

Darkness enveloped them as they dove down the stairs. Colorful flashing lights escaped from underneath the entrance door, preparing Sebastian for what would lay within. He inhaled deeply, ready to get this over with.