five

+ sunrise +

Firth and I sat on the bank of the lake, his arm around my back and resting on my waist as I leaned into his body, a blanket was wrapped around our shoulders as we watched the sunrise, the orange and yellow hues lighting up our faces as they faded into the dark night sky which was slowly fading.

I could feel his heart beating, a steady pace thumping throughout his body and into mines, with every breath he took it calmed me down. Subconsciously I was nervous, but I wasn't going to tell anyone that today, because I was sick of the constant reassurance everyone seemed to throw my way. "Is Finnick okay?" I asked, breaking the silence that lingered between us, nod turning to look at him as he took in a breath. "Yeah, he was a little scared last night" Firth said, adjusting his grip around my waist as I straightening my legs.

"Haf was the same, I sat with him until he fell asleep" I replied, the light breeze blowing my hair. "Their names are only in there once and twice, I think they should be fine" he said to me, running his hand up and down my side to try and soothe me. "How are you feeling?" he asked me, turning to look at me, the worry in his eyes clear as I nodded my head at him slightly. "I'm fine, I know the drill" I said shifting slightly under his gaze as I turned back to look at the lake.

"It's just, my dad comes back each year, just in case one of his kids get whisked away to their death. It's one of the few times we see him and it should be under better circumstances" I said looking up at Firth's orange tinted face, a sad smile on his face. "At least your dad came back, what if I get picked, the last thing he said to me was make sure you keep catching fish for the family" he said, losing his smile as he pursed his lips clearly annoyed at his father and his lack of appearance for the reaping.

"Hey" I said, grabbing his chin gently and tilted his head back towards me, our eyes connecting as I leaned into him."It won't be the last thing he says, you aren't going anywhere" I told him quietly, trying to give him some hope for today as I let go of his chin. "Your name is in there 6 times, it's not coming out" I added shaking my head as he cracked a smile at me, lowering his head closer to mines. "Thank you" he said, gently pushing his lips into mine, the same butterflies I got every time he kissed me coming flooding back.

!

I walked into the house, the blanket thrown over my shoulder, closing the door behind me as I let out a deep breath. "Hi Waverley" Mom said to me with a small smile, walking into the kitchen wearing a blue dress and her hair twisted up into a neat knot. She looked drained, all the colour stripped from her usual enthusiastic face, she usually looked like this on reaping day, scared of the possible outcomes the day could bring for her.

"Where were you?" Kai asked, walking into the kitchen buttoning up his shirt, still supporting his cargo shorts and bare feet as he looked over at me.
"Watching the sunrise by the lake" I said setting the blanket on the back of a chair, smiling at my dad as he sat at the table, half falling asleep with a cup of coffee in his hand. "Is Haf awake?" I asked Mom as she handed a glass of water over to me from the table.

"I don't know, I thought i'd let him sleep in, give him some rest"  Mom said, standing with her hands on her hips as she took Zale's shirt off of the back of one of the chairs, smoothing it out in her hand. "I said I'd take him fishing later, get his mind past the reaping a little bit" Dad said from his place, crossing his arms over his chest as I nodded my head at him, setting my glass down on the counter. "I'll come too" I said to him, tucking my hair behind my ears as Mom pointed over at me.

"You should go get dressed, I laid a dress out for you" she told me, setting Zale's shirt over the back of the chair to avoid it getting creased. I nodded my head at her, moving around Kai as I made my way up the stairs, standing staring down at the light grey dress that my mother had laid out for me. It had a belt around the middle, stopping just above my knee which made it easy to stand in water, which is what i would normally do in it. I slipped off my current dress, leaving it on the floor as I got dressed into the new one, dusting it down with my hand.

I stood in front of the dusty mirror, looking at my tan skin and wavy pale blonde hair as I ran my hands through it, holding it back to see if i should tie it up or not. Everyone's hair in District 4 had a slight waviness to it, coming from the sea from all the water around us which we spent most of our time in. I sighed once again, letting my hair fall over my shoulders as I shook my head before picking up some pearl earrings, placing them in my ears. I let my hand linger over the pearl for a moment, Dad got me them when he found them on the beach a while ago, making them into earrings for me which I had been in love with every since.

I turned around, looking at my room once more, not bothering to pick up the old dress on the floor as I stepped over it, closing my door on the way out so that mom wouldn't shout at me for it being such a mess. I knocked on the door across the hall, creaking it open and poking my head into the dim room, Haf was lying in his bed, his eyes just staring at the wall, moving up to look at me. "You might want to think about waking up, we have quite a walk to the square" I said, moving into his room and opening his curtains gently as he squinted at me, sitting up in his bed.

"Yeah, thanks" he said to me with a nod of his head, swinging his feet off of the bed and stretching as he yawned. "Remember to tuck in your shirt" I said with a small smile, before leaving his room to let him change, walking down the stairs and joining the family again, all of them having moved into the living room. I took a seat on the old coach next to Kai, who was fiddling his thumbs as mom buttoned up Zale's shirt for him, who was making a big fuss.

"Not the top one, it strangles me" Zale moaned, moving his head away from her as she tried to do it up before he could complain, which wasn't working. "You have to Zale, it will make you look smart" mom said, trying to get him to stay still as she grabbed it before he could move. "I agree with Zale" Kai said, using his fingers to move his collar from his neck as he looked over at me, making me laugh a little bit, enough to bring a smile to my face. "You two can suck it up for the day" mom said with a small smile, pulling Zale closer to her, finally getting in his top button much to his dismay.

Haf walked in slowly, trying to smooth down his hair as he pulled his his beige pants a bit, the ends being rolled up as they were too big for him, definitely because they were a hand me down from Kai. "Look at you all" mom said, standing up and holding Zale's hand in hers as she smiled at us all, opening up her arms. "Right come on, everyone in" she said loudly, Zale hugging into her legs as Haf let out a small breath, still hugging her as he smiled softly to himself.

I looked at Kai, who shrugged his shoulders at me before pushing himself off of the couch walking over to her as he hugged her with one of her arms causing me to follow after him as I hugged Kai's side, Dad connecting the circle as we all stood in the middle of the room in a family hug. "We should maybe think about starting to leave, it's quite the walk" Dad said, being the first to let go of his family as he smiled at us all, causing mom to let out a deep breath as she grabbed Haf's hand in her others.

"Yeah, sooner this gets done with the sooner I can get out this shirt" Kai said, still tugging at his collar as I slapped his hand away from it, knowing that he could t undo the button before we even got there. "Must be a shock for you, having to wear clothes for once" I said, poking his side quickly before he could hit me back, all of us knowing he never really wore shirts, spending so much of his time in water anyway. "Good one" he replied sarcastically, making his way out of the room, myself and everyone in tow as Dad wrapped his arm around my shoulders, kissing the top of my head lightly.

——

A/N: I know I like never update this anymore but I thought i'd try and get back into it so here you gooooo
I originally had the next few chapters as one long one which I didn't really like so I had to break it up a bunch
please vote and comment and I will see you soon

A/N: I know I like never update this anymore but I thought i'd try and get back into it so here you goooooI originally had the next few chapters as one long one which I didn't really like so I had to break it up a bunch please vote and comment and...