"When? I can't stop thinking about it and it's starting to affect my work."

"My condition has nothing to do with your productivity. That's all on you. I'll find out when I'm ready to find out."

Her long exhale told me she was disappointed with my answer, but everybody was getting the same one. "I'm sorry, Reese. I understand your reticence. Babies are a life changer."

"Thanks for understanding." And for vocalizing my panic. "I'll let you know about the tickets within the hour."

"Okay. I love you."

"Love you too, Mom."

Grateful to have something to look forward to, I happily ignored my mom's reminder that I could be knocked up. Sure, I'd been throwing caution to the wind, having mad, unprotected sex with Vincent, but I was relying on the information he gave me about the difficulties gollums faced in the procreation department. It was all about the strength of the bond, and I'd somehow convinced myself it would be years before our bond was strong enough to result in babies. Now, here I was, three months into our relationship, and I was contemplating the reality that I could be a mother.

I pulled on a pair of comfy jeans, sliding my hands over my belly as I zipped them up. I had no doubts Vincent would be an amazing father, and I knew he loved me, but there was still so much we had to discover about each other. Before I knew it, my hand had traveled up to my neck, where my fingers fluttered across the traces of a bite Vincent gave me in the throes of passion. I knew he didn't mean to hurt me, but sometimes his impulses got the better of him.

"Reese? Are you alright?"

Vincent's voice started me, and I jerked my hand down to the button of my jeans, hiding my guilt.

"I'm fine. I was just getting dressed before the party started."

"Party? It's just family." He strode toward me, owning the room like he owned everything he set his mind to. As he landed in front of me, he brought along a powerful dose of pheromones, and I stumbled slightly, but his hand was already at my back, holding me tight as he squashed my naked breasts against his black V-neck. "Was it something your mother said?" he asked.

I leveled him in my sights as I battled the seductive effects of his gollum scent and the pull of his commanding gray eyes. "Your Vulcan hearing is going to get you into trouble one day. My mom called to offer us tickets to the auction she's organizing. She thinks there are some pieces your family might be interested in."

"That was thoughtful of her. Do you want to attend?"

"I'll admit, I'm going a little stir crazy in this apartment. I haven't left the penthouse since we got back from Sydney."

He smiled as he feathered his large knuckles across my cheek. "I can't stop thinking about Sydney. That sunburn you suffered has given you a permanent blush. Tell your mother we accept. I'll call Scooby and arrange our ride. Now, what else is on your mind?"

He tugged me toward the bed, but I resisted. "I'm not having a conversation with you like this." I pointed unnecessarily to my bare breasts. "Besides, there's nothing on my mind that can't be put off."

He let me break away from his arms, and I walked to the dresser to locate a bra, feeling his eyes on my back. Had he seen me touch my neck? Was he worried about the danger we faced in the bedroom? Or had he seen me touch my stomach and the potential danger we faced there?

"Reese, I want you to know that I try to meet your expectations every day." His voice came out gentle but without reserve. It was the tone he used a lot with me. "As mundane as it sounds, this is how I've always handled important matters, and you are the most important thing in my life. It's critical that I know when I'm not meeting your expectations. Or...if I'm pushing too hard."