Masquerade

Hey guys! This is my short and it's kind of dark but I hope you like it! If so, please FAN, VOTE, and COMMENT! Actually, even if you don't like it, please comment! I am always dying for feedback to improve my writing just like you guys! Please and thank you!! <3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm watching The Little Mermaid for the thousandth time. I never get tired of this movie. If ever I am in a bad mood, or in need of a pick-me-up, this is the movie to watch. And if ever there was a time to watch this movie, it was now. I'm surprised that the DVD player hasn't over-heated and completely combusted already with how much I've been watching this movie lately. I sit here, watching Ariel fall in love with the prince, again and again, and yet I can't drown out the nightmares in my head.  

Swirling images of that day continue to haunt me and no matter what I do, I can't make them go away. I physically shake my head and close my eyes, my hair hitting me in the face repeatedly as I try to shake them out. When I finally open my eyes, I see Ariel being taken by the sea witch and I finally become engrossed in the movie. How could the sea witch use Ariel like that? She's only 16, my age; full of dreams and there Ursula goes, using her to get what she wants. You can't get more evil than that.  

I hear the garage door opening and know my mother is home. I quickly jump off the couch and run to the bathroom to put on my mask. After I'm satisfied that it's fully secure, I run back to the plump couch and plop down, sinking deeply into its cushions just as my mother walks through the front door.  

"Honey, I'm home!" I hear my mom's voice echo from the foyer.  

I smile softly at the familiar cliché that she always says when she walks into the house. "Hi mom, how was work?"  

"Oh, it was good sweetheart. Are you ready for school tomorrow? Did you finish your homework?" she says quickly as she asks her usual sequence of questions every time she comes home.  

"Um, yeah mom. I'm ready for school and I didn't have any homework this weekend, remember? I told you yesterday," I remind her. I suddenly felt unexplainably deflated as I got up to shut off the movie. My mom worked hard to support me and being that we only had each other, I used to feel really bad because she always seemed to not notice little things that I used to find important; like if I curled my hair, just for the heck of it, or wore a new shirt. But considering that I now wore a mask, and it was crucial that she never find out, I suppose I should be thanking my lucky stars that she hardly ever takes notice to things.  

"Oh, honey, you don't have to turn it off. You can finish your movie. I'm going to be working on some things I didn't get to finish at the office," she told me.  

"Nah, it's okay mom. I don't feel like watching the ending. I think I'm just going to go up to my room." I begin to head up stairs but when I reach the first landing I hear my mom call my name. I look down the staircase and see my mom standing at the foot of it, looking up at me imploringly. "Yeah mom?" I ask cautiously.  

"Sweetheart, is everything alright?"  

My heart skipped a beat. Had I let my mask slip? I mentally make sure it's firmly in place before I speak. "Yeah mom, I'm good. Why are you asking?"  

She continues to look at me, her concern for me written clearly on her face. One thing I love about my mom; she never wears a mask. You can always tell exactly what she's feeling. "Well, I'm asking because you just haven't seemed yourself lately. I'm not sure exactly what it is but I just feel like something's wrong. I hope you know that you can always come to me about anything. You know that, don't you?"