What Friends Are For

Start from the beginning

It had been trying such that Carter had to forcefully be restrained and locked away from the rest of the pack when he was practically losing to his wolf. He didn't want to go, but it had taken Isaiah, Chad, Sky's dad, Steven, and my father to successfully capture and restrain Carter. They didn't come away without a few scratches and claw marks though.

Carter had fought them hard, every step of the way. Screaming and barking, cursing and growling while they dragged him into the isolation cabinet, situated in the woods a little farther away from the holding cells. It was a small building, that held nothing but a trap door that led to the isolation room underground.

Carter had spent close to two weeks in there, by himself. Of course, the prominent leaders visited him and tried their best to help him get his wolf under control. At the end of the first week, Carter had come along nicely, and Isaiah had agreed that he was fit to return to the pack. But Carter didn't want to leave just yet. He was unsure of himself and didn't want to run the risk of hurting someone. He'd even went as far as demanding that they didn't let his mother visit him in the isolation room.

Oftentimes, I saw Carter wandering into the woods. He'd go in and wouldn't come back out until well after sunset. I had my suspicions that Carter hadn't gained complete control of his wolf, but he was trying. I suspected that sometimes, he went back to the isolation room and barricaded himself inside for a few hours.

And based on his reaction right now, Carter might have realized he was slipping up.

"We're not here to fight. We just need to know. Marcana and Black Rock didn't exactly start off on a good note." Dale reminded. I expelled a deep breath.

"Okay, fine. Jaxon and I are mates. I didn't tell you guys because I was trying to avoid causing trouble." I explained, my gaze settling on Carter, who huffed childishly, crossing his arms over his chest and turning his head sideways. He was such a child when he wanted to be.

"So, he's not causing trouble or anything like that?" Dale reiterated, motioning his hands in a gesture to ensure we were on the same page. I nodded, confirming exactly what I had said just now, and for further effect, I voiced it.

"No, he isn't." I replied. Dale seemed to accept that and take my word for it as he glanced to Sky and gave a slight nod of his head. Said dominant expelled a deep breath, his timid aura- which is completely unlike the Sky Daniels Jasper Falls knows- disappeared immediately and he was back to his normal self.

Just then, Carter stepped forward, his gaze settling on my face. "I'll take your word for now. But if he fucks up..." he trailed off, not really needing to finish since I caught on. I offered him a small smile. He was not at all okay with the idea that Jaxon and I were mates, but he knew there wasn't anything he could do about it, other than try to accept it as it was.

Nodding my head, I gave him a knowing look. "I can take care of myself. You just focus on you." I advised, and he glanced away for a moment realizing that I knew he was having trouble with his wolf. It would explain the recent one-eighty in his behaviour; the aggression and violent tendencies, and the hot and cold behaviour. He could he be so calm and sweet one minute and the next, a flaming ball of anger.

He was becoming unpredictable. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but given the situation with his wolf, it was best he had complete control.

Carter gave a slight nod of his head before he left my house. He was on border patrol today as well, so I suppose I would bump into him later on in the evening. Dale gave me a slight nod of his head, while Sky simply frowned, his gaze moving from between Dale and me, and then to the door that Carter had exited.

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. He calls himself Carter Hayes' best friend, yet he didn't know Carter was obviously having trouble keeping his wolf in check. I could slap him for that.