Thirty-four Pleas

"-Onto the latest newstory, another body has been found. The initials 'ZM' were carved into the victim's wrists. The body was drained of blood as reported with the previous victims. Authorities have remained silent when further questioned. Later tonight, Mayor Dedrick will say a few wor-"

"Enough of that nonsense. You've been watching it for two hours; there's other channels on television."

"Yeah, and they're boring. The news is the only thing worth watching, despite all the biased bull they spew. I just like to know what's going on. . . I can't do that from here."

"I'm sorry, darling, but there's no other way I can have you."

"I know. Maybe in another life, it'd be different."

"Mhm, one where I'm not a killer, but I'd like to keep my obsession for you. I hope you'd be obsessed, too. How would you feel about being a psychopath?"

"Ha ha. . . I'll pass on that, thank you."

". . ."

". . ."

". . ."

"Can I have the remote back?"

"Not if you put the news back on."

"I won't. . . but that makes five more in two months. Where even does all that blood go? I haven't found a single drop of blood in any of the rooms."

"I don't keep it in the house, darling; it would make the whole house smell like death. It's in a refrigerated storage room a few miles out from here; most of it still manages to go to waste though."

"Why?"

"Do you really want to know? You usually don't like to talk about this stuff."

"I don't, but if it concerns you. . . I want to know."

"I'm almost blushing."

"Zayn, just get on with it."

"Alright, alright. I'm kind of at a standstill with my art, but I have to keep up appearances with the media. As much as I like to draw you, I don't like to paint you. It doesn't feel the same, almost like I can feel your eyes looking at it, me, in digust. I don't think I could handle that type of rejection. . . I find it hard to take pleasure drawing other things, so I have nothing to paint. All this blood sitting in jars is wasting away in some semi-abondoned storage unit in the middle of nowhere. I've tried to paint, too, but it just turns to splatters."

"Oh."

"Heh, I find it kinda funny."

"How so?"

"I never thought I'd come to a standstill. Another one of my unhealthy obsessions is affecting the other areas of my life. I think it almost regrettable to have ever found beauty in blood and death. I desire to do normal things with you, Harry. Like take you on a date because I can see how you yearn to go somewhere. All I draw is a sullen face."

"I-I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything. I just wanted to share my thoughts with you. Now, come here."

". . ."

". . ."

"I think you should draw what you see."

"Hmm?"

"If you don't know what to draw, take in the scenery. Draw the forest, the house, the city. I don't know, just anything that's around."

"Ha ha ha."

"What's so funny now?"

"You, darling. You always manage to surprise me."