nineteen; emotional conversations

Start from the beginning

****

Ella White slowly walked to the cafeteria, it was her third or fourth time out of her room, deciding it was time to see new faces after being isolated for so long. She had taken directions from a few soldiers and managed to make her way towards the area. Despite getting dirty looks from a few people who had obviously disagreed with her fake interviews. The girl walked to the food and made herself a plate, looking around for a familiar face to sit with. 

Ella felt her heart sink at the thought of returning to her room with no productivity in her routine so she made her way to the boy who had rescued her, already feeling awkward. "Hi."

The boy looked at her, confused, eyebrows raised and unimpressed, looking back at his food, bored. "Hey."

"I-I wanted to thank you," Ella started softly, gulping at the sudden social anxiety she was getting, wiping her palms on the pants provided to her. "You know, for risking your life to save us even if you did it for Katniss."

The boy was slightly taken aback, lifting his head the fragile girl ahead of him, nodding his head in appreciation. "Well, thank you for keeping her alive. She might not have been if it weren't for you so I owed you one." 

Ella smiled in return, briefly before holding her hand out for him to shake, giving herself an introduction. "Ella."

The boy hesitated, giving her his hand to shake. "Gale."

"Can I ask you something?" Gale questioned suddenly, glancing at the girl, sitting up more, continuing once the girl nodded her head in response. "All those things you said, in the interviews with Ceaser Flickerman, did you mean it?"

"I don't think I ever could." Ella quickly answered, not taking offense to Gale's question. "I don't know if you know, but we had a plan to get Katniss out of the arena for the rebellion, I wouldn't have agreed if I didn't."

"Of course, I just-" Gale nodded. "I wanted to make sure you didn't change your mind while you were there." 

The air between the the two grew awkward and tense, the girl noting it, opening her mouth to change the topic. "How's Katniss? I heard about what happened."

"She's gonna be okay, she just needs time." Gale told her, looking down. 

"I think everyone needs time." Ella agreed softly just as Boggs appeared, standing upright, tapping the girl's shoulder, he managed a small smile. 

"Ms. White, your presence is required with Ms.Everdeen and Peeta." Boggs informed, nodding his head a little at Gale. Ella nodded her head, pushing her uneaten tray of food away and sending a smile to Gale who did the same as she followed the older man to the place they had kept Peeta, her heart was racing, already nervous to see the boy in the state she had left him in. 

She walked into the hallway, where Katniss stood with Haymitch and Sebastian, the third's presence shocking her as her eyes drifted to the girl who pulled her into an embrace, whispering her gratefulness to her, Ella simply squeezing her in return. The brunette stumbled over to Sebastian, giving him a tight hug, disbelief on her features as she questioned her mentor of his whereabouts. "Sebastian, where have you been?"

"Hey pumpkin, I believe I should be asking you that." The man hugged her back, patting her shoulder in comfort before moving away and leading her towards the boy's room, where he sat tied to the bed, his health already seeming better. 

Ella's breathe hitched in her throat, eyes already welling up with tears at his state of insanity, the man glanced at her then back at the boy, sighing in defeat. "We figured you'll be able to help since you seemed to be the first thing her asked about. Just calm him, try to remind him of Katniss in a good way, just like you did in the Capital."

Ella nodded her head, throat suddenly growing too dry for her to speak as the man walked away, signalling to a guard to open the entrance, allowing her to walk into the brightly lit room, eyes squinting as Peeta's gaze quickly fell on her, relief falling on his features. The girl had never engulfed so many people in a warm embrace then she had that day, sympathy swarming in her heart. She squeezed him tight, just like he would when she would wake up with a nightmare, she pulled away gradually. 

"I've been wanting to see you for so long." Peeta informed, looking away from her to his hands. "Why didn't you come?"

Ella sighed, closing her eyes as her lips pulled into a frown. "They didn't let me and I wasn't allowed to leave my room until I had recovered."

Peeta nodded his head in understanding, giving her a small smile. "I'm glad to see you talking."

"I'm glad to see you with more than skin on your bones." Ella noted, smiling lightly, the boy letting out a quiet, breathy laugh in return, his face hardened suddenly, giving her a teary-eyed look. 

"Did you hear? About twelve? About my family? They're all gone." Peeta wept quietly, tears leaking out of his eyes, the purple that surrounded it lifted as he blinked them away. 

"I did, I'm so sorry, Peeta." Ella genuinely responded, squeezing his hand in comfort.

"Everyone I ever loved has left me." Peeta whispered slowly, head dropped in sadness as Ella's eye let a stray tear fall, seeing him so shattered taking a toll on her. 

"That's not true, Peeta, you have me and Katniss-" Ella tried, pleading with her eyes, leaning forwards as he interrupted her quick, face red. 

"I don't love monsters like her! Don't say her name, Ella! She's a mutt! She's nothing but a monstrous mutt that the Capital made." Peeta screamed, his body leaning forward, still bound to the bed. 

Ella jumped onto her feet, flinching from his voice, hand trembling with anxiety, the boy noticed, calming down, sobs leaving his mouth as his head hung low, crying loudly as guilt swarmed his heart. "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry."

The boy repeated his apology rapidly, heaving as tears left his eyes, Ella engulfed him again, calming him like a mother would, running a hand through his hair as he cried into her shoulder, apologizing again and again, Ella shook her head in response. "It's okay. I'm not leaving."

****

AN//

Hope you enjoyed! xx

Sorry for such a long wait, it's been a long month, filled with exams and stress and just life being an asshole. I've just been putting this off but then got some inspiration so I hope you guys enjoyed honestly.