nineteen; emotional conversations

CHAPTER NINETEEN, EMOTIONAL CONVERSATIONS

Silence seemed to be hovering over them, giving nothing but comfort, sitting in each other's presence meant to be the perfect remedy for their broken hearts. Ella and Finnick sat side-by-side, not speaking at all, hands intertwined with each-others. Their shared room, lifeless and dull but giving them the privacy and empty feeling they wanted after the glam they had from the Capitol. It felt like ages until the girl was allowed to have a room without a nurse monitoring her but after begging and crying, they had permitted her to stay with someone at all times and to have a check up everyday. 

To say that Ella White was weak was an understatement. 

After the dozens of 'procedures' and experiments the now petite girl had done were draining to say the least and all she wanted to do not was stay in bed, with Finnick's arms around her, shielding her from harm like he always did. Ella leaned her head on his shoulder, closing her eyes in peace, like they were kids again. 

"Did you know that, every time I woke up my first thought was you?" Finnick asked, looking at her without moving his whole head, he rubbed her hand with his thumb, soothing. 

Ella's heart beat loudly against her chest, she lifted her fragile head, looking at him with the softest gaze she could give unintentionally, his heart melted. "Yeah?"

Finnick nodded his head, his lips lifting from the corners. "Yeah."

"The thought of being with you was what got me through every single day. I was just ready to let go, you know? Just not wake up and stay asleep forever."  Ella admitted quietly, she shifted her gaze to her hand, using the other to tuck her hair behind her ear. 

Tears glistened in Finnick's eyes, he sniffed, wiping his eyes and wrapping his arm around her shoulder. "I wish it was me instead."

"I don't and I never would." Ella immediately interjected, face hardening. "I don't think anybody deserves that, other than Snow." 

"I missed you so much." Finnick whispered. 

Ella closed her eyes, tears slipping out, her emotions had been barely held in when she returned, her hard exterior had vanished and been replaced by sadness and tears. "I missed you so much more, Fin." 

"It was so heard." Ella breathed out, tears flowing out of her eyes, letting out a heavy exhale as she blinked quick, shaking her head she leaned forward. The boy turned his body to be opposite her, he wrapped his arms around her, squeezing her tightly, kissing the top of her head. "It was so hard to be around him after everything he's done." 

"I know." Finnick replied shakily, putting his hand on her head, the girl letting out quiet sobs, he couldn't stand the sound of her cries or her face every time she awoke from a nightmare, his heart couldn't physically bear it. "It's gonna take time to heal from this, Ella and I'll be with you every step of the way."