8: His shade of red

Start from the beginning

Mr. Song was precious to her but he was just as precious to me.

Although I loved my father and my mother, they were always away because of business, that's why I had him, Mr. Song, but I liked to call him Ahjussi.

I was at first cold and indifferent to him because I wanted my parents to spend time with me when I was a kid but slowly, he became like a father to me.

He taught me what my father could never teach me since he was always away.

He taught me to be kind.

He taught me to be patient.

He taught me to be compassionate and most importantly, he taught me the meaning of family.

I could never list down how much life values taught me but there was one thing that he told me that really left a mark on me.

It was on one of those days when Goyang-i came down with a fever and I refused to let anyone take care of her but me.

I didn't really mind if I got sick because of it since It was worth it if it meant I could really make sure she was okay.

The moment she fell asleep, I sat down on the chair I put near her bed and just sighed deeply.

To my surprise, I felt a hand on my shoulder and saw Ahjussi then he said, "Out of all the things you had to be stubborn about, you had to be stubborn about my daughter."

"Don't worry," he continued to say, "I'm not mad about it, I'm actually glad my daughter has someone like you too look after her, she's always been so fragile even if she doesn't like to admit it."

"You have to promise me one thing Jeon Jungkook okay?," he said as he awaited my response and I nodded.

He smiled and ruffled my hair in endearment then said, "Always look after my daughter alright? Even if she refuses and says she's okay, I know that you'll be there for her because you know she isn't"

"Ahjussi, I promise! I'll never leave Goyang-i alone even if she gets tired of me!," I promised to Mr. Song and he smiled.

I didn't realize how much I'd miss that smile until it was gone.

The day the accident happened, she wouldn't even look at me and it broke my heart into a million pieces.

"Goyang-i, do you want to get some Topokki? We can go to the store nearby," I said to cheer her up but she didn't say a word. She just stared blankly at the grey concrete of the sidewalk.

I tried to make her talk by asking her if she wanted to go and eat at a place to distract her from the sound of ambulance and the commotion of the crowd. She still didn't say anything. I did everything and I was slowly breaking down from the pressure.

I was running out of options so I just pulled her into a hug. My heart crumpled when I didn't feel her hug me back. My eyes watered and I began to mutter apologies over and over again.

She stayed silent as I apologized to her over and over again. I wasn't even sure if she could hear me because of how loud the ambulances were. Even with that idea in mind, I still continued to apologize to her until she finally spoke.

"I told you not to show off, but you still did it, why didn't you listen to me?," she said with a clear sadness in her voice but at the same time it sounded like she was disappointed.

She pushed me away and said, "Pabo, you always think things will always go the way you want it to go."

I tried to explain and said, "I didn't mean to-."