Wrap Party

The energy backstage was hectic and gave me the distinct feeling of being behind the curtain before a live filming of Toddlers in Tiaras.

"Tits out, Rowan!" Annabella crowed from her position in the corner of the room, hunched over a makeup mirror, "The cleavage makes the jumpsuit work."

"No cleavage I have to offer is going to make a jumpsuit work. I look like I'm going to work. In a fucking coal mine."

"Not with those pinstripes. I gave you Donna's best costume; you should be thanking me."

"Thank you, Annabella, for making me go out in front of the people I've spent every day with in a professional environment, in a pinstriped jumpsuit and a feather boa. You're a real philanthropist."

"That's what they tell me," She singsonged. She dusted on another coat of blush and looked up. "Everyone ready, ladies?"

"Yes," I grumbled, looking over Sadie, who had one hand in a bag of Doritos and the with a vice grip on her empty glass of champagne.

"I'm stress-eating," She whined, "Why do we have to do this?"

"Because it's fun. Now start having fun, this somber mood is killing my vibe."

•••

When the curtains came up, I noticed that we had an actual band on stage. I'd assumed she'd just give the backtrack to the DJ, but she really had gone all out.

I walked up to center stage, all nerves, and, even in the dark, instantly spotted Claire at the bar talking to Natalie with a glass of what I assumed was bourbon in her hand. So she does drink at wrap parties.

As soon as the lights went up, Annabella, bold as ever, called out our already intoxicated audience. "Natalie, Grace, and Claire, you better get up here!" At the unanimous head-shake from all three, she pouted, "No singing or dancing, I promise. You just have to sit in a chair."

The three of them reluctantly made their way up and I realized exactly what she'd done a moment too late. I hadn't missed the irony in her choice of 'When I Kissed the Teacher', but we were supposed to pick willing volunteers from the crowd, not the three most powerful people in the room.

When Claire sat down in the chair behind me, I covered my mic with my hand, marching over to Annabella to whisper, "I am going to fucking throttle you, mark my words," before returning to my original position, plastering a smile on my face and yelling, "Hit it!"

The music kicked in and, from all of the impromptu practice sessions I'd been dragged along to, the routine was like muscle memory.

We'd opted for long jackets instead of the graduation gowns from the film, and most of my worries melted away when I ripped off the jacket to reveal my costume and my coworkers screamed from the bar.

"What a mad day!" I belted to the best of my ability, hoping I didn't sound as stupid as I felt. I somewhat-gracefully strutted around Claire's chair, wrapping the boa around her neck. Judging by her laughter, she was either extremely drunk, getting a kick out of me making a fool of myself, or both. "I was up in the air and she taught me a lesson alright."

Claire's reaction seemed to change from amusement to shock as I spun onto her lap, crossing my legs over hers and wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

In that split second, I had a choice to make — follow the choreography like I knew Annabella and Sadie would, or do anything but that.

Like the dumbass I am, I chose the first option. I planted my lips on Claire's and jumped up, continuing the routine.