Chapter Thirty: Gift

Start from the beginning

     I felt the soft, airy touch of a caress on my cheek, although when I opened my eyes there was nothing there. She didn't miss a beat, "You must." There was no arguing her command. "You are strong, you are powerful. You have many strong warriors that will stand by you, Percyus included. You can fight them."

     "Please don't make me." I cried.

     "Calla." Her voice was no longer nice. She was scolding me. "Stop pitying yourself. You are not a baby, don't cry like one. Accept your fate and fight like the warrior you were born to be."

     "I was born to be a slave!" I shouted, yelling into the white, the light goddess no longer beside me. She was only in my head now. "I was born to be a cook, servant, and punching bag. Don't fool yourself into thinking otherwise."

     "Right attitude, wrong words."

     I gasped in outrage, pulling at my hair in frustration. "Don't make me think that I can do something I can't! I don't want to deal with more heartache."

     "Calla, that is life. Now stop arguing with me, it is unbecoming." She commanded, making me shut my mouth angrily. I had never been so upset, and a part of me was ashamed for being so rude to the moon goddess of all people, but she was under my skin.

     She started again, "Your life will not get any easier for a while now. You will suffer heartache, loss, grief, and pain. You will become strong, you will fight alongside your pack to defeat those who defy you, and you will bring unity to the realm. Do not give in to the power and greed you will receive. Stay humble and kind."

     I felt a heavy weight settle on my shoulders, the burden of all this information almost too much. I didn't want any of it. But I nodded, "I will."

     I heard her sigh in content, "Your life will get very hard, and as an apology, I will grant you a gift. You must treasure this gift, never misuse it."

     "What is it?" I asked eagerly.

     I felt a rush flow through me, making me gasp and extend my arms out as if I were flying. As the warmth flowed through me, I felt inexplicable calmness roll over me. At that moment I'd found the peace I was always looking for. I always assumed that peace would accompany my death, but no, this was it. Whatever this was, it was what I'd always been waiting for. The rush eased, and I gently lowered my arms, a light smile on my face. 

     "My gift to you is something you've been wanting your whole life my dear. The scars you wear can be scrubbed away, as if they never happened. You can heal. Yourself and others."

     I felt my eyes bulge, making her laugh gently. "Try it out, my child."

     I lifted my arm and peered at a particularly jagged scar running across it. I set my hand on top of it, willing it to be gone by the time I lifted my hand. Light spilled out from beneath my fingers, like I had set my hand over a flashlight, I could feel it working in a way I could only describe as magical. Heat danced under my scar, zapping it away. I lifted my hand and I couldn't see any trace of the scar, as if it were never there in the first place. A smile overtook my cheeks and tears of complete happiness spilled down my chin. "Thank you."

     I could feel her radiant warmth as she undoubtedly smiled, "Put it to good use, Calla."

     "I will. I swear I will." I couldn't take my eyes off of my arm.