Chapter 64. Beyond a Simple Friendship

There is another tale among the staff and students of St. Catherine's that claims the old monastery was built upon an ancient battlefield between two warring kingdoms. Both kings wanted to lay claim to the mountain for strategic purposes, giving the victor a sizeable upper hand in the war. The horrific battle ended in an eternal draw as the wholesale slaughter destroyed both armies, down to the last man, covering the mountain in blood.

Many say that because there was no victor, the war rages on in the realm between the light and the shadows. Each Halloween, a rift between their realm and ours develops allowing the armies to briefly cross over and continue the war on the mountain.

This favorite tale of the monastery was incorporated into the Halloween festivities each year as students were allowed to dress up as warriors in costumes.

—Life at St. Catherine's, vol 2, pp. 74-6.

Day 18

Kato woke sometime early in the morning. He had no idea what time it was because the clock was covered with Takahashi's sheet music. He realized that he was laying on his back and Takahashi was still on his side. Takahashi was not only spooned up against Kato, but his leg was over Kato's groin and his arm was draped over Kato's chest. He amusingly imagined himself as nothing more than Takahashi's body pillow. I don't think it's actually possible for him to get any closer to me, Kato snidely thought. Takahashi's nose was up against the top of Kato's shoulder and he could feel his breath.

For a moment, he felt that he should be uncomfortable with this, but he was altogether too tired to bother feeling embarrassed. He was reasonable and wouldn't hold it against Takahashi who was simply sleeping.

He had a hard time sorting out the knot of feelings inside his heart. On the one hand, he admitted to himself that what he felt for Takahashi, lately, went a bit beyond a simple friendship, which was a little worrisome. On the other hand, he didn't feel a desire to kiss Takahashi or have sex with him. Granted, seeing Takahashi naked was still interesting but he didn't have a desire to do more than that.

It concerned him that he might be leading Takahashi on. He remembered what Murata said about Kato sending signals. He didn't want to see that look in Takahashi's eyes, that same look of rejection that was in the seme's eyes that he rejected at the ping pong table. He didn't want to be another source of sadness for Takahashi.

It all boiled down to one question for Kato: how far could he go for Takahashi? Still, he wasn't entirely sure Takahashi was even interested in other boys to begin with. With only negative experiences, Kato concluded that Takahashi couldn't possibly be interested.

His musings were interrupted by the alarm. He reached over and shoved off some paper and found the button to turn it off.

"Six already?" Takahashi sleepily complained.

"Yeah," Kato replied.

Takahashi lifted his knee up off Kato and pulled his leg away from Kato. "Sorry," he said as he pulled his hand off Kato too.

"Don't be. You were simply sleeping. I don't mind," Kato said.

"Still—"

"Ken-san. I meant it when I said that I didn't mind," Kato said gently, but firmly.

Kato felt Takahashi tentatively put his big, warm hand back on Kato's tummy. Kato actually liked the sensation. It was comforting, in a way. Kato would never let any other boy ever do this, though.

"Ken-san, we swimming this morning?"

"No," Takahashi replied.

"Oh?"