Chapter 34

The cramped and bare white walled office had just one small and dim orange light bulb hanging from the low ceiling to stave off the darkness that came with the late hour. The window, a narrow pane of murky glass, did little to beautify the claustrophobic space. It faced a tall mountain range, where even the many lights of the city below was at best a foggy reflection. Zoe looked out at the scene with weary eyes.

"I didn't want to say this in front of too many thin skinned idiots but you should stop wasting your energy trying to argue your case to politicians. They're basically morons by definition," Brigadier General Stein said. She was sitting across from Zoe in her compact desk, looking surprisingly animated for a fifty year old woman near midnight. "Though I have to hand it to you, you have a way with words."

"Well if someone doesn't speak up, what stops a free society like ours from plunging into folly? A democracy's only as strong as the backbone of its people," Zoe said.

"An uncorrupt democracy. As if such a thing could ever exist in a world run by humans," Stein said with a bitter laugh. "That's always been one of your problems Major. You're a brilliant woman... so long as you aren't stuck in one of your faulty assumptions. The faulty assumption here of course is that every woman and man in that meeting this afternoon actually has Dan's best interest at heart. Now think Zoe. Think about what other reasons they'd have to throw Dan's strategic advantage down the drain."

"Politics. Naturally," Zoe said with a scowl.

"Be more specific."

Zoe leaned back and did her best to recall the meeting and the people in it. "Fritz is a good statesman but an absolutely lousy military mind. Herschwittz, being a Republicanist, would have a lot to gain from a Nationalist President impeached and disgraced. The only reason they're not at each other's throats right now of course is the war forces them to coordinate military campaigns. But who knows what exactly they could gain from trying to kill off millions of Angleyan colonists? We're not exactly the eugenics crazed people Adelaide Schneizel led in the Dannic revolution a century ago. And even if we were, it's definitely not like a Republicanist to buy into debunked science."

"Maybe," Stein muttered.

Zoe leaned back in her chair and took another look out the window. It was a clear night, and the moon was nearly full. In spite of how late into summer it was, under the glimmer of moon and starlight, Zoe could still see a few thin sheets of snow dotting the mountaintops. Then she noticed the drill sites lining the terraces below those white caps. "Mines," she said.

Stein chuckled bitterly. "Oh, yes. The Greens keep droning on about the environment but... the population is growing and everyone needs energy. Where else are we going to get energy but more light crystals?"

"I imagine those crystals are worth a lot of money," Zoe said.

"Yeah, that's like saying rain's wet. Of course the main fuel source of humanity post industrial age is worth a lot." Stein was rolling her eyes as she said it.

"And if... a nation or group of nations were to come across a vast, untapped amount of crystals and, say, backed its value up with its own currency, those nations could get very rich."

Stein raised an eyebrow. "What are you trying to say?"

"Republicanists have been in bed with lobbyists from the fuel industry for decades. Nationalists have been fighting them the whole time. What if-"

The sound of breaking glass broke Zoe's train of thought, She ducked to the side just in time to avoid a shard from cutting her cheek.

"Brigadier General!" She looked up, but it was fruitless. A bullet had lodged itself in Stein's forehead, killing her instantly. Several more rounds flooded into the room, forcing Zoe to find cover in a corner. She checked her waist to ensure her grappling gear would be usable. There was a lull in the gunfire, and though Zoe wasn't too hopeful, she glanced out from cover to see if any attacker was visible. To her surprise, she saw a single figure flying away on a grappling line, toward the city below.

Zoe jumped out the window in pursuit of the shooter, peering around her surroundings to ensure she wouldn't be ambushed from behind or to the side. As far as she could see, hear, or otherwise sense she and her target were alone. Or at least they would be until they got farther into the city. Brigadier General Stein's apartment was relatively removed from downtown, though at the speed both Zoe and the woman she was pursuing were flying, that wouldn't mean much in a matter of minutes. She resolved to herself that it wouldn't come to that.

The first shot came within inches of her target, though at the last second the black clad woman spun out of the way. The next several shots were wild, not even coming close to hitting the mark. Worse, her attempt to startle or corral her target failed completely, as she kept grappling and tumbling toward the populated city blocks. In a flash, the shooter fired back. Her gun draw was so quick Zoe could feel the air from the bullet rushing past her face. More shots came at her, each seemingly closer than the last. This was turning out bad. She had to end it, or she knew the next thing she felt wouldn't be air. She aimed the submachine gun nestled in her right hand right above her enemy's head...

Predictably, the woman somersaulted down to avoid the gunfire. Zoe shot a grappling hook with her left hand right into the exposed woman's shoulder, piercing through sinew and bone like paper. She yanked forward, audibly cracking her enemy's joint. Just as her body came within arm's length, Zoe drew a machete and slashed through the woman's remaining shoulder, ensuring she had no arms to shoot or strike back. She kept her quarry gripped tight by the back of the neck until they landed safely on a seemingly empty park lawn. Unfortunately, the moment she turned her victim onto her back to face her, she only found a convulsing and dying victim of cyanide.

***

None of the police officers were willing to answer any questions Zoe tried asking. The most she could get were a handful of pleasant, empty words. Even after seeing her military ID, a woman still insisted on patting her down and disassembling her grappling gear. Even with the area surrounded by blue and red police lights, Zoe felt like an exposed duck without the gear nestled firmly against her body.

"Major?" It was Erwin, dressed in a civilian suit and a wide brimmed hat. As far as anyone else on the scene would be concerned, he was just another shell shocked witness.

"I'm still in one piece Erwin. Can't say the same for her," Zoe said, nodding her head toward the body bag being carried away by two police officers.

"Stein?" he asked.

All Zoe could bring herself to do was shrug. "A casualty. Of which war? Well I wish I knew but these donut munching idiots here don't seem to have a clue what's going on. They can't answer a single one of my questions."

Erwin let out an exasperated sigh. "Right. Let me." He walked over to the pair of officers closest to where the body had landed. "Excuse me. What happened here?" The pair, a man and a woman, looked down at the slightly shorter Erwin.

"You can figure that out once the public report is out," the woman spat.

"Really? I can't ask a civil servant for even basic courtesy anymore?" Erwin replied with a quirked eyebrow. "My mother's not really going to be happy about that." He took his hat off and brushed down his unruly dark hair. Zoe nearly snorted out loud in laughter as the officers bolted straight.

"Oh, Mister Schmidt. We didn't recognize you sir," the male officer said. "I apologize for my partner. She's still learning."

"Really? She looks older than you. Must be a late bloomer," Erwin said.

The officers went red faced and said nothing.

"I'll ask again. What happened?" Erwin asked.

"We can't find the woman's records in any local databases. We... we don't know who she is and we'll need to bring Federal authorities onto the case. We're hoping they have additional information," the male officer said.

"Ah. Now wasn't that easier? Thank you officers." Erwin swiveled around before either officer had a chance to say anything else.

"Nice of you to be born the son of a wealthy Senator," Zoe deadpanned.

"Not all of us can be as humble as you Major," Erwin replied. "You heard them. Local authorities don't know anything. We'll need to find someone higher up."

Zoe let out a tired sigh. "Gee, I wonder just who on earth you're thinking of."