Raspberry Chocolate Cupcakes

These Raspberry Chocolate Cupcakes are a classic flavor combination! We used our favorite chocolate cupcakes and topped them with a delicious raspberry icing that uses fresh raspberry puree. Delish!

~Ingredients:

-Chocolate Cupcakes:

1 Cup All Purpose Flour. 

1 Cup Granulated Sugar.

1/4 + 1/8 Cup Dark Cocoa Powder.*

1 Teaspoon Baking Soda.

1/2 Teaspoon Salt.

1 Large Egg.

1/2 Cup Buttermilk.**

1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil.

3/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract.

1/2 Cup Hot Milk.

-Raspberry Puree:

2 Cups Fresh or Frozen Raspberries.

1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar.

1/2 Cup Water.

Zest and Juice of One Lemon

-Raspberry Frosting:

1/2 Cup Butter, room temperature.

1/2 Cup Shortening.

4 Cups Powdered Sugar.

3 - 4 Tablespoons Pureed Raspberries.

~Directions:

Step 1: Preheat oven to 300 degrees fahrenheit. Line the cupcake tray with liners. Set aside.

-Making the Cupcakes:

Step 2: Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.

Step 3Add egg, buttermilk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.

Step 4Add vanilla to the hot milk, stir together and add to mixture. Mix well.

Step 5Pour the batter into cupcakes pans, filling just over half way, and bake for about 18 - 22 minutes.

Step 6When done, remove the cupcakes from the oven and the cupcake tin and allow to cool.

Step 7While cupcakes cool, make the frosting.

-Making the Raspberry Puree:

Step 8: Add the raspberries, the granulated sugar, water, zest and juice of one lemon to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium - low heat.

Step 9: Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened to coat the back of a spoon.

Step 10: Remove from the heat and pour into the jug of a blender.

Step 11: Blend on high speed for about 10 seconds or until completely smooth.

Step 12Pour into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until chilled, about 20 minutes.

-Making the Raspberry Frosting:

Step 13Add the shortening and butter to a mixer bowl and beat until smooth.

Step 14Slowly add 3 cups of powdered sugar. Mix until combined.

Step 15Mix in the raspberry puree.

Step 16Add the rest of the powdered sugar and mix until smooth.

Step 17: Frost the cupcakes.

Step 18: Eat and Enjoy!

~Recipe Notes:

~Recipe Notes:

*We used Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa powder.

**You can use either store bought buttermilk or you can make some at home yourself. Check out our Baking Tips and Tricks - Buttermilk Book for the recipe (link in the comments below).

Enjoy!

Please leave us a picture in the comments below if you make it or have any questions!

XoXo Hailey and Hannah :)