Blushing Grapefruit Cupcakes

Blushing Grapefruit Cupcakes:

Sweet and Citrusy, these cupcakes are the wonderful springtime treat, featuring rich cream cheese frosting flavored with a grapefruit juice and lemon and grapefruit peels.

-Ingredients:

~Cupcakes:

1 1/4 Cups all purpose flour

3/4 Cups granulated sugar.

1 1/4 Teaspoon baking powder.  

1/2 Teaspoon baking soda.

1/2 Teaspoon salt.

1/4 Cup oil.

1/4 Cup water.

3 Large eggs.

3 Tablespoon and 1 Teaspoon fresh grapefruit juice.

2 Teaspoon freshly grated grapefruit peel.

2 Teaspoon freshly grated lemon peel.

-Frosting: 

1 package cream cheese.

2 Teaspoon fresh grapefruit juice.

1 Teaspoon freshly grated grapefruit.

1 Teaspoon freshly lemon peel. 

1 1/4 Cup confectioner's sugar

2 Drops red food color.

3 Cups grapefruit segments {preferably Ruby Red}

Mint Leaves for garnish.

~Directions:

Step 1: Heat Oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Step 2: Line the muffin pans with the liners.

Step 3: In a large bowl stir flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Step 4:  Pour Oil, water, egg yolks, 3 Tablespoons grapefruit Juice and the grapefruit and the lemon peels in the center of the mix.

Step 5: Add the liquids to the mix. Then whisk with the flour mixture just until blended and smooth.

Step 6: Beat egg whites in a medium bowl with the electric mixer on high speed until frothy.

Step 7: Add the remaining 1 teaspoon of grapefruit juice; beat until stiff peaks form when the beaters are lifted.

Step 8: With a rubber spatula, stir 1/3 of the beaten egg whites mixture into the cupcake batter; then gently fold in remaining whites just until blended. 

Step 9: Spoon 1/4 cup into each lined cup.

Step 10: Bake 15 to 18 minutes until tops are browned and a pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan on top of a wire rack for 5 minutes before removing from the pan to the rack to cool completely. 

Step 11: Beat all the ingredients for the frosting {except for the grapefruit segments} in a medium bowl with a electric mixer on low speed just to blend. Switch to high speed until the frosting mixture is smooth and fluffy.

Step 12: Finely chop 1 grapefruit segment and stir into the frosting. Spread on the cupcakes.

Step 13: Drain remaining grapefruit segments well and place on cupcakes; garnish with the mints.

Be sure to leave us a link in the comments below if you make this cupcake :)