Banana Split Cupcakes

They're delicious of course, but they're also beautiful. And did we mention easy?  

~Ingredients:

-Chocolate Cake:

1 Box Devil's Food Cake Mix*

3 Eggs

1/2 cup oil.

1/2 milk.

1 cup sour cream.

-Banana Cake:  

1 Box Yellow Cake Mix**

2 Large Bananas, ripe

3 Eggs.

1/3 Cup Oil.

1/2 Cup Sour Cream.

2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract

-Strawberry Frosting:

2 Cup butter, softened.

1/4 Cup Crushed Freeze Dried Strawberries. ***

6 - 8 Cups Powdered Sugar.

1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract.

Melted Chocolate, Sprinkles and Cherries for decoration.

~Directions:

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line the pans with cupcake liners.

Step 2:   Chocolate Cake: Sift the cake mix into a large bowl, then add eggs, oil, milk, and sour cream. 

Step 3: Stir until smooth. Set aside.

Step 4:  Banana Cake: Sift the cake mix into a large bowl.

Step 5:  Mash the bananas using a fork in a small bowl and then add it to the cake mix.

Step 6:  Add eggs, oil, sour cream and vanilla extract and stir until smooth.

Step 7: Using a small food scoop or a spoon to place a small amount of chocolate cake batter in the side of each cupcake liner. 

Step 8:  Then scoop a small amount of banana cake batter next to it.

Step 9: Bake for 15 - 20 Minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean.    

Step 10: Place on cooling racks.  

Step 11:  Strawberry Frosting: Beat butter for 2 minutes. 

Step 12: Add in crushed freeze dried strawberries. 

Step 13: Slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency.

Step 14: Add in Vanilla Extract.   

Step 15: Add onto cooled cupcakes and top with melted chocolate, sprinkles and cherries!

~Recipe Notes:

*You can also make the Devil's Food Cake Mix from scratch. Check out our Chocolate Pistachio Cupcake Chapter in our Holiday Recipes Book for our recipe.

**You can also make the Devil's Food Cake Mix from scratch. 

***Freeze Dried Strawberries:

Targets and other stores have started to carry them too. They are perfect for buttercream frostings because they have all the flavor and color from berries, but none of the moisture, so you can add as much as you want without making the frosting runny! 

1) You can half each box of cake mix and add only half the ingredients if you only want 20 cupcakes.

Enjoy!

Please leave us a picture in the comments below if you make it or have any questions!

XoXo Hailey and Hannah :)

Last Edited: 03/29/18