Mocha Cupcakes with Espresso Buttercream Frosting

These mocha cupcakes are a chocolate and coffee lover's dream come true. If you can't get your day going without your favorite cup of coffee, you're in luck. We might even go so far as to suggest that you should just skip your morning cup of coffee or trip to Starbucks and have one of these instead.

~Ingredients:

-For the Cupcakes:

1/2 Cup Brewed Coffee, at room temperature.

1 1/2 Teaspoons Espresso Powder.

1/2 Cup Whole Milk.

1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract.

1 1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour.

1/3 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder.

1 Teaspoon Baking Powder.

1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda.

1/4 Teaspoon Salt.

1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature.

1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar.

1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar.

1 Egg, at room temperature.

-For the Espresso Frosting:

1 Cup Unsalted Butter, at room temperature.

2 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar.

1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract.

1 12/2 Espresso Powder.

~Directions:

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Step 2: Line a standard size cupcake pan with paper liners.

Step 3: In a measuring cup, whisk the espresso powder into the brewed coffee until it is completely dissolved. 

Step 4: Add the milk and vanilla extract and set it aside.

Step 5In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, the cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and the salt.

Step 6With an electric mixer on medium speed for about 3 minutes, beat together the butter and both sugars until the batter is light and fluffy.

Step 7Add the egg and beat until combined.

Step 8 Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of the coffee mixture, mixing each until just combined. Using a rubber spatula, give the batter a final stir to ensure everything is well incorporated. 

Step 9Fill each cupcake liner about two-thirds full with batter. 

Step 10Bake for 17 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. 

Step 11Cool completely before frosting the cupcakes.

Making the Frosting:

Step 12: In a small bowl, whisk the espresso powder into the vanilla until dissolved and set it aside.

Step 13Using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, whip the butter on medium-high speed for 5 minutes, stopping once to scrape down the sides of the bowl.

Step 14Reduce the mixer speed to low and add in the powdered sugar a little at a time, waiting until it is mostly incorporated before adding more.

Step 15Once all of the powdered sugar has been added, scrape the sides of the bowl and increase the speed to medium and whip it until fluffy which will take about 1 to 2 minutes.

Step 16Add the espresso and vanilla mixture and continue to mix at medium speed until it is completely incorporated, scraping the sides as necessary.

Step 17Frost the cupcakes as desired.*

Recipe Notes:

Recipe Notes:

*We used the Wilton 1M Decorating Tip for the frosting on this cupcake.

Enjoy!

Please leave us a picture in the comments below if you make it!

~Hailey and Hannah :)