"Our home." He answers without hesitation. "The Runner is from the City, she'll understand."

I keep my tone light, not wanting to betray the sudden knot twisting inside. "What's happening in the City?"

He swallows. "It's nearly bone-dry. We've heard rumours that all the freshwater sources are depleted and that we're now reliant on our reserves. The Queen has everyone from the academy to the temple scrambling for a solution but it's likely the reserves will run out long before."

"Gods." I murmur, no longer smiling. "Worse than I thought."

"There's another city though, isn't that right?" The man is speaking eagerly. "That dome the Runner invaded once already, we heard it's packed with plenty of food and water."

"Taking another city's goods won't save you." I warn him. "It will only prolong your survival for a time."

"Time is all we need." Passion colours his words, earning him another point. "The Queen is in support of every effort we make to grow our own food back home, we know it's just a matter of time until they figure out how to do it."

"Hmm." I make a noncommittal noise, tapping my chin with my finger. "I think you may have some promise, after all."

"Do you know her? The Runner?" The man finally lets down his guard, lowering his sword with his eyes wide and searching. "Are... are you her?"

"It's her, alright." A sullen voice speaks up from the rear of the group before I have a chance to answer. Curious, I crane my neck to see a vaguely familiar form shuffle his way forward. It isn't until he raises his arm in a half-hearted greeting that I register who it is.

His arm ends in a grotesque stump.

Gordy.

I take no pleasure in recalling my snivelling former acquaintance. A greasy, unpleasant fellow, I fight the urge to recoil as memories of his and Lara's alleyway encounter come flooding back. His hand was taken as punishment for petty thievery while the City was still under rule of the King and from the looks of him, he hasn't fared well since.

"Gordy." I nod cordially and take a small step to the side, signalling to Luca that he has a clean shot should he choose to take it. "It's been a while."

"And you haven't changed." He tucks his ruined wrist into his pocket. "Still as swaggering and as arrogant as ever."

I laugh, affirming his claim. "You haven't changed either. In fact, I believe I've even seen that soup stain before."

More than one person laughs as Gordy's face turns beet-red.

"Hold on now. You know the Runner?" The first man cuts in, casting a glance disbelievingly between the two of us.

"Unfortunately." Gordy sighs nasally and I resist the urge to roll my eyes.

"How could you not have said?" The first man's entire demeanour changes at once as he clumsily attempts to sheath his weapon while simultaneously extending his hand to me. "I'm Evin. I'm just...gods...I can't believe it's really you. Gordy, how could you not have mentioned that you're mates with the most famous person in the world?"

"We're not mates." Gordy mumbles.

"Not yet." I wink, giving Ervin's hand a hearty shake. "Now, while I'd love to remain here and reminisce, I've heard a rumour that we're at war. If you'd care to follow my friends and I, we can take this reunion somewhere a little more discrete."

"Your friends?" Evin asks, confused.

"Didn't I mention them?" I whistle two shrill notes in quick succession. At once, Luca and the others arise from their hiding places, revealing that the Miners were hopelessly surrounded.