Broken

Shane sat at the bar counter, slouched on his stool. He downed the last of the whiskey in his class, letting out a long exaggerated sigh. The tall man leaned his head against the palm of his hand, shutting his eyes. He was startled at the feeling of a boney finger tapping his shoulder. When he turned around, he was shocked to see his friend standing behind him. "Ryan?"

"What the actual fuck Shane?" The shorter man stood in front of him, impatiently tapping his foot against the floor. "What the fuck?"

"Ryan..." Shane sighed. "I'm sorry, okay? I can't do this with you. I don't want to do this with you."

"This? The fuck do you mean 'this'? What are you talking about?"

"I don't-...I don't want to be with you." Shane refused to look Ryan in the eyes, starting at the floor instead. He still felt Ryan's glare staring through him. The shorter man just stood there for a minute, staring.

"No. You're lying."

"You can't just say I'm lying because you don't like what I'm saying, Ryan."

"I've known you for more than three years Shane. Granted, there's some obvious things I didn't figure out. But I can tell when you're lying. Right now, what you just said, that was a fucking lie. So I want you to tell me the truth, right now. Cause I'm not leaving until you do."

Shane just raised his eyebrows, refusing to say a word. He turned back to the bar counter, only infuriating Ryan even further. Ryan reached into Shane's pocket, grabbing his keys and running out the door. Shane got up, watching him leave. "Ryan! Ugh!" He left cash on the counter, running out after him.

Ryan sat on the trunk of Shane's car, shoving the keys into his pants. Shane groaned, standing in front of him. "You think you're really smart huh? I can just reach in and get those." He laughed, but he could see the tears forming in Ryan's eyes.

"I w-want-" Ryan coughed, trying to regain his composure. "I want you tell me the truth. Please Shane..."

The taller man sighed, running a hand through his tangled hair. "I'm aging, Ryan. For the first time in...forever, actually. And I don't want to be. I'm not ready to be. I can't die yet, I still have so much more I want to do. I don't want to do it. And I won't."

All Ryan could do was stare at his friend, hiding his shaky hands behind his back. After what felt like an eternity of not being able to say anything, he cleared his throat and spoke up. "O-Okay. I get it. I just wanted to know. So, thanks." Ryan reached into his pants, taking out Shane's keys and placing them on the trunk on the car. He hopped off, walking back to his own car and getting in. Shane did the same, driving off quickly to who knows where. Ryan watched the car in the rear view mirror, and when it had completely left the lot, he broke down. Tears streaming down his face, he sobbed violently into his hands. His body was shaking, rocking back and forth in the tiny drivers seat. Shane was really gone now. He was out of his life. And Ryan felt completely, utterly broken.