Chapter 3 - Neil's Lunar Flyby

Começar do início

Between the campus and the now blue skies overhead, they could have been landing back on Earth rather than onboard a floating city. Had everything he'd seen moments before been simply an illusion? He put his hand on the window as if to touch the sky and make sense of everything.

"Space City is an artificial, flying planet. Her atmosphere's designed to mimic Earth's own," Mr. Chapman said. "The founders built it to mirror life back home. The Earth protects life in so many ways, and the ship replicates that. Plus, people feel most comfortable in an Earth-like environment."

Neil's first day in a new world. The morning hadn't held such excitement since his mother had been alive. He wished she could share it with him.

"Based on Space City time, it's ten in the morning. The ship rotates during the day so that the sun seems to cross the sky. At night, shields darken the skies. You'll feel like you're back on Earth, except for the moon in panorama."

In the sky, the giant moon out-sized the sun at least ten to one. Space City was like a satellite in the moon's orbit.

Mr. Chapman landed the ship in the spaceport. Neil removed his helmet, unbuckled his seat, and after sitting the entire flight, his legs shook when he stood. He used the walls to steady himself as he made his way back to the exit.

The spaceport possessed various spacecraft, landers, and rovers. Neil counted a dozen ships like the one they'd flown in, plus behemoths the size of giant aircraft carriers.

The day was hot but pleasant. A breeze ruffled his hair, as it had on good days when he'd helped his mother in her rose garden. It was amazing to know that he stood on a ship in space and felt like he stood outdoors on Earth.

A man with two long, dark brown braids draped over his shoulders rounded their ship. Possessing a wiry build, he marched toward them. He wore a uniform consisting of a light-blue, buttoned-down shirt and navy-blue pants. An insignia denoting his rank marked both shoulders, and a Space City logo was pinned on his left breast below a small nameplate.

"Neil, I'd like to introduce you to Senior Master Sergeant Shilah Nez," Mr. Chapman said. "He's an instructor. He'll take you to the academy and orientation."

Instructor Nez nodded and spoke formally. "Welcome to Space City. If you'll remove that flight suit, I'll get you to registration."

"Yes, sir." As Neil stripped off his flight suit, he asked, "Your title is Senior Master Sergeant?"

"It is," Nez replied.

"This is a military academy?"

Mr. Chapman shook his head as he took Neil's flight suit. "The Space City Preparatory Academy is a private academy for promising students aboard Space City. It has a Junior ROTC program you can join if you wish." He carried the flight suits back inside the ship.

"So why are you a Senior Master Sergeant?"

"I'm retired." Nez motioned for Neil to follow him and set off at a brisk pace. "Let's get you to registration."

Neil took a step after him, then paused. Mr. Chapman remained inside the ship. "Aren't you joining us?"

Mr. Chapman emerged and waved. "I'm needed at headquarters. Not sure how long, but I'll try to check in on you later."

Neil wanted to say more, but Nez marched on without pause. Neil hurried after him.

"The academy demands hard work, but you're cut out for it," Mr. Chapman yelled.

Nez led Neil from the spaceport into the lavish garden. A series of oval flowerbeds, each with a different type and color of flower, alternated with dwarf fruit trees. A thick wall of vines surrounded the garden so that the only path from the spaceport led directly through the entire garden. Neil spotted apples, pears, peaches, oranges, and several nut varieties among the trees in the garden. Throughout the orchard, human-shaped yellow robots picked fruits and nuts, pruned branches, and watered the flowers. Neil considered asking one of the androids for a peach. Would it talk or understand him?