Derek Morgan x Reader

Start from the beginning

~~~~~

My boots thudded down the hallway but they couldn't seem to mask the laughing of the girls I had left behind. I turned the right corner sharper than normal, frustrated by the fact that I couldn't get the red dress out of my vision. Honestly I couldn't believe I had held myself together for as long as I did. The way she sat. a perfectly sculpted leg balanced over the other so elegantly and the sound of her black suede heels tapping against each other almost drove me insane. My head shook in one more attempt to fizz out the image but my luck faltered once again.

I doubled the short flight of stairs to my office and quickly closed the door. I ran my hands over my head and drew out a long breath I didn't know I was holding in. Sometimes she got the best of me. Never mind, scratch that. She always got the best of me. Ever since the day she walked into the office. there was something in the way she stepped lightly across the bull pen and presented herself that I just couldn't get over. It ate at me, even though it shouldn't. But why?

Because I wasn't supposed to feel this way about anybody ever again.

Not after what happened.

Finally I came to rest myself back into the comfortable office chair and allow my muscles to relax. My mouth blew out a short raspberry and my eyes flickered around the room. My leather jacket that decorated me everyday hung on the closed door, the endless filing cabinets filled with brutal cases that shouldn't have ever happened and the spare chair in front of my gold plated desk tag. Paperwork. Paperwork would surely get my mind off of this mess.

Off of her.

The pile loomed in front of me, calling out worthlessly to convince my confused mind that its attention would be better relaying on stacks of paper rather than (Y/N). My brain accepted, willing to try anything to get its attention reared back to a normal state. I didn't hesitate to dive right in with a fresh pen, but the same old image dancing across my brain in this never ending show I couldn't seem to get enough of.

It had been hours and two pens later since I had become numb to repetition of information. My shoulders ached and my back screamed at me to stretch it out. The drive of forgetting caused the signals to go unnoticed. Desperately searching and constantly completing more and more paperwork, I was getting onto a more deep and faster grind than I had been on in a long time. Soon that grind was interrupted.

A small knock resounded.

~~~~~

Derek furrowed a thick brow as he pushed his desk chair away and crossed the room, slightly afraid of what lied behind the door. He reached down by his belt and took his glock, wrapping his fingers snugly around the base like a second nature. Hiding it behind his back, his other hand wrapped its fingers around the cold, brass knob and turned it slowly. He opened the barrier and came face to face with the one thing that made his mind go in circles.

You.

"Hey, are you alright?" you asked, looking at his concerned features. He nodded and you shrugged the feeling off, keeping in the back of your head. "Is it alright if I came in?"

"Uh, yeah yeah sure," Derek said as he stepped aside, careful to avert his gaze from you as much as possible as your pear scent dragged a trail under his nose following you.

"Thank you," you stated, turning around to watch Morgan quietly close the door. "Garcia is literally a drunken passed out mess and honest to God she hasn't stopped talking about you."

"Oh I bet," he laughed.

Derek smiled but you noticed it wasn't his usual casual smile and you could've sworn you watch him gulp. This unusual uncomfortableness or nervousness was drawing your concerns more and more. This was unlike him and you wondered if you were causing it. Derek sat down and motioned for you to do the same.