Chapter 14: The Sound of Silence

Start from the beginning

I felt her body heavier into my arms and my fingers straightened her hair, taking some strands out of her front, wiping the tears from her sleeping face and caressing her wet skin as softly as I could.

Ivar stopped by my side and Ubbe lowered himself to speak low in order to keep her sleeping.

"She will get better, brother. Our (Y/N) is strong and brave. She will be able to go over it and move on. All she needs is time. Don't worry," he tried, pressing my shoulder with his fingers in a supportive touch.

But I sighed. I was tired, crushed and destroyed as much as she was. Maybe time was all we need indeed.

"We need time, Ubbe. Both of us. All of us, to be honest. I'll stay for your crowning and then, I'll leave with (Y/N)."

"Where are you living now, brother?" he asked, interested.

"A small town not too far from here, in the North. I'm advising King Ulgn about his lands and raids... And I'll remain there. It is good land. A loyal king."

"I will need a counselor," he said and I sighed, looking at him.

"It is better for (Y/N) to be far away from everyone now. Give us some time, Ubbe. Maybe someday," I answered with a tired tone.

"Maybe someday," he agreed without questioning, helping me to take (Y/N) back to our tent.

The following days were strange.

We transferred ourselves to the principal house after Lagertha and Björn left. (Y/N) was still walking as if she wasn't really alive and it was killing me inside, but I promised the gods I would respect her grieving. It was her first pregnancy, our first son and she was dreaming about him so hard... Who could blame her for mourning him so long?

Margrethe took care of (Y/N), helping her with the wounds and the bleeding while I was helping Ubbe and Ivar with all the necessary to the crowning.

In a pair of weeks, Ubbe was crowned and Ivar was departing.

(Y/N) was still sad, but at least she was spending more hours of the day awaken and she even participated in the ceremony of Ubbe's crowning, yet she didn't stay for the party. Neither did I. It was a simple feast, in respect to our pain, but we didn't stay anyway.

Now we were at the docks. The men were ready or installing themselves at the boats and my brothers and I were talking before Ivar could go into his boat.

 The men were ready or installing themselves at the boats and my brothers and I were talking before Ivar could go into his boat

"Take good care of yourself, brother. And keep sending us messengers or crows or whatever that comes before your fame" Ubbe joked and I shyly smiled while Ivar was giggling.

But his laugh died and his eyes went over my shoulders, causing me and Ubbe to look behind to see (Y/N) coming slow, almost shrunk.

I took off my cloak, covering her to protect her body from the coldness of the docks.