Chapter 1: The Arrival

Start from the beginning

Your mouth caught a deep breath before answering his smile with another, caressing his hand on your face before turning it to Ubbe again.

Trying to focus on your objectives and not on the way your brothers have grown strong and beautifully.

"I've heard about your father and I'm sorry."

Ubbe kept a deep breath and the smile on Hvitserk's face just slowly vanished.

"We are already working on it." Ivar started as you were searching for someplace for the four of you to sit.

He crawled to some trunks near the deck you just arrived and his brothers followed him. So did you, sitting in one of those trunks and staring at him as he talked, with some shadows over his face.

"I was there and father told me what to do..."

"But you'll not do it by yourself, right, brother?" Ubbe cut him off, with one of his hands over his shoulder, making Ivar look at him with some irony in his eyes.

"If you let me talk maybe I can reach the right point, brother." He smirked and Ubbe withdrew his hand from Ivar's shoulder, letting him continue "As I was saying, I was there and father told me what to do. He told me to come back and reunite with our brothers, and together" he said the word looking at Ubbe with a little emphasis at the term "We could build an army to avenge him at England."

"I've heard about the great army you're planning. That's why I came back. I wish to be part of it, to fight by our king and avenge your father's death."

They laughed at each other and Ubbe smirked at you.

"As you heard about us, so we've heard about your achievements, my sister..."

You have always found some irony in Ubbe calling you sister. It was different from when Sigurd or Ivar did the same. But now, it sounds more visible, maybe because you're not as innocent as you used to be and now you know men enough to understand a bit of malice on that curve locked on the corner of his lips.

Was he showing attraction? To you?

You raised your eyebrow, making his smile even more visible. And now, Hvitserk also had a curve on his lips that caught your attention for some long seconds.

When did your brothers become so handsome and charming?

Ivar, who seems to be completely out of your brothers' mood, continued what Ubbe had started, while your older brothers were looking at each other with those strange smiles on their faces.

"We've heard about your strength and your ability, sis. It's going to be a great addition to our army to have a shield maiden like you leading the front line beside us."

Your eyes turned to Ivar's. He looks so furious from inside... So filled with an anger that was about to explode. You knew your crippled little brother well enough to see much more than the desires of avenging on his eyes.

But before you could say anything or ask him about it, a pair of hands covered your eyes.

"Guess who?"

That melodic voice! How could you forget?

"Sigurd..." you said with some nostalgic tone in your voice, before you turn to him, holding your beloved brother in a tight hug. "I missed you so, so badly! There were no better players of the oud from where I'm coming now. I'm missing your music."

He smiled caressing your hair, touching and messing your braids as he used to do when you're younger.

"I can play for you at night."