Chapter 13

The lights slowly started to come back on as the credits started to roll. I turn my head to look at Evan. He looked just as shocked as I did.

"How could they kill a baby?" He asked, clearly dumbfounded.

"Maybe babies are high in fiber?" I guessed as I look around the theater. People are starting to leave, but they looked disturbed by what they had witnessed.

"Probably. I mean, I don't know what demons like. It could be part of a new fad diet," he suggested as he took our empty cups and placed them in the tub of popcorn that was filled with kernels.

"I can just imagine a grandma demon just keeping a pound of baby back ribs in her freezer now," I say sarcastically as I reach out and grab the bar in front of me before pulling myself up on my good leg.

"Well, thanks for the mental image," he says as he reached over to hand me one of the crutches that I had leaning on the chair. "I'm probably going to have nightmares tonight."

"Sucks to be you then," I said, which caused Evan to let out a laugh.

The both of us start to walk out of the row of seats and to the stairs. By the time we got there, everyone else had already left. Evan walked in front of me, but he had his body turned so he could help me make it down the stairs in one piece.

"I don't know about you, but I could go for a burger," Evan said as we walked side by side out into the hallway. As we passed a trashcan, he tossed the garage away but he kept a firm hold on the pink bat.

"You literally just ate that whole entire thing of popcorn," I say in disbelief. How could he still be hungry? Does he have a second stomach I don't know about?

"That was a snack," he waved off. Groups of teenagers and adults passed us with a second glance, but it still felt like their eyes were on me. "I'm going to go use the restroom. Will you be fine out here by yourself?"

I look at him and can't help but roll my eyes. "Yes, I think I can manage to be by myself for two minutes."

"Very funny," Evan winks before disappearing into a nearby bathroom. Right next to me, another movie let out. By the amount of people coming out, I could tell it was packed in there. I just kept my eyes on the ground to avoid anyone I might possibly know.

"Hattie?" Asked a deep voice that was really familiar. I looked up to see Spencer, one of the triplets. The only reason I knew it was him was because of the little scar he had right above his elbow.

"Hey Spencer," I say with a small wave.

"What happened to your leg?" He asked abruptly when he noticed the cast.

"Oh, it's broken," I say casually. I didn't really want to get into my leg story in the middle of a crowded movie theater. "How's working in the lumber yard?" I asked to steer the conversation away from me.

"It's fine," he said seriously. "What happened? Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. It was a clean break so they just popped it back into place," I say as I avoid the first question.

"Hattie, what happened?" He asked again softly. "I'm your friend, right? You can tell me."

Friend? Were we friends? I mean, I liked hanging out with everyone from out lunch table. There were times if I were in the hallways being picked on, one of the boys would always swoop in and chase them away.

"I just fell," I said. In the corner of my eye, I saw Evan come out of the restroom, and before I knew it, he was by my side again.

"Hey Spencer," Evan said with a smile as stood next to me.