The Final Chapter

Start from the beginning

"Mom, please don't cry..," I mumbled. I felt so bad.

Mom quickly shook her head, blinking the tears away. "I just have something in my eye. Like a twig, or a branch."

I know she was happy that we were finally getting to know our dad, even though she still hated him for never trying to contact us until a few months ago. I get it, I mean, I hadn't entirely forgiven Michael either but at least he was trying to make it up to us now. He invited us over to Sweden to meet a family we never even knew we had.

I met my grandmother, who was more than delighted to speak Spanish with me (she had lived in Spain a couple of years), I met Vera, the women who my father had been married to for almost 10 years, and most importantly, I met my baby sister.

Meeting all of this people really made me realize that I gave Michael another chance for a good reason. If I hadn't given him a second chance, I might have never even have gone to Sweden or met this side of our family.

When Raf and I first told our mother about how Michael was in the States, trying to get to know us, she actually flipped. She couldn't believe how we could even consider letting Michael into our lives, but the thing that pissed her off most was the fact that we were seeing Michael without telling her. She felt so betrayed.

Her anger eventually faded and she was starting to understand why Rafael and I wanted to give Michael a chance to be in our lives. So after a while, when Michael asked us to visit him in Sweden, she told us we should go. That we deserved to have a father after all these years.

But even though she gave us her blessing to get to know our father, the situation was still hard for her for to deal with.

So now she was sitting across from me, tears in her eyes and a smile on her face. It didn't match up and I immediately felt guilty for going to Sweden for Christmas.

"I don't have to go to Sweden for Christmas, mom. I can stay here."

She quickly shook her head, causing a tears to run down her cheek. "No, por favor! Please go, I want you to go. I want you to be happy, chula."

"But I am happy, ma. I'm happy here in LA with you and Tina and Alex and Raf."

She again shook her head and grabbed my hand. "I know you are, but I still think you should go. I'll be fine here. I can spend Christmas with Don anyway."

"Don from your work, that Don?" I sounded surprised because I was.

Mom blushed lightly as she nodded.

I didn't want to make her feel more embarrassed, since my mother hated talking about her love life, so I gave her hand that I was still holding a soft squeeze and smiled. "I'm happy for you."

The fact that my mother had someone to spend her Christmas with and now knowing that she wouldn't be at home by herself, made the whole idea of going to Sweden for Christmas a whole lot better.

I had just received a text from Alex that he would be here soon when the doorbell rang. Judging by the face my mother gave me, it was me who had to get it. I was in a good mood and while I usually would just ignore the person outside the door and not open it, I figured nothing could ruin my mood today.

I didn't even know why I was in such a happy mood right now. I mean, seeing my mom after two weeks probably played a big role in my happiness but it wasn't just that. For the first time in months I finally felt like my life was going somewhere.

I was getting to know my father, and we actually got along really well. My brother was starting to become a better person, something that didn't only make me happy but our mother as well. Rafael always brought so much stress in our mom's life and you could tell mom was happier as well these days.