The Final Chapter

7 weeks later

"I'll miss you, Vallie!" my little sister Nellie pouted. My heart was hurting because of her cute little accent and I couldn't believe how many English words she had picked up in the two weeks that I was here.

"Oh, I'll miss you too Nellie," I said as I picked her up and held her close in my arms. I was not ready to say goodbye just yet. "But you know I'll be back with Christmas! And who knows, maybe dad will even take you to America soon."

Almost immediately Nellie started bombarding Michael and Vera with questions in Swedish, although I was pretty sure it was about a trip to the US. As Michael tried to calm down his youngest daughter, Vera smiled softly and grabbed my hand.

"You and Rafael are always welcome to stay with us, you know you are, right?" she asked and we both glared at Rafael for a second who was smiling at Nellie. You could definitely tell he had a weak spot for her.

"I know," I nodded, focusing back on Vera.

Michael and Vera were so happy to have us in their home in Sweden these past two weeks, at some point they even asked us if we weren't interested in staying permanently. I was kind of shocked when they asked us that, since we didn't exactly know these people that well. I mean, sure, they're family but they were still stranger to us until two weeks ago.

But even though everything about these two weeks felt right and we actually felt like a real family, I couldn't stay in Sweden. Sweden was beautiful and maybe some day I would actually come back here, but for now I had a mother and a boyfriend waiting on me in LA and that's where I was supposed to go.

Vera, Michael's wife, was literally the sweetest woman ever and she treated Rafael and me as her own. And then there was Nellie, who was literally a little version of me. I just hoped her personality wouldn't end up the same as mine in a few years, because boy will Michael and Vera have a hard time coming.

"I'll miss you kid." Vera quickly wiped away a tear on her cheek and hugged me. After we let go of each other, Michael walked up to me and nodded.

"I guess it's time to say goodbye.. again."

I chuckled and grabbed his hand. "It's just for a few weeks dad, it'll Christmas before you know it. I can't wait to actually have a white Christmas for the first time in my life."

Michael grinned and wrapped his arms around me. We stayed like that for what felt like forever.

"I'm so happy to have you back," he whispered in my hair and I nodded. I could honestly cry from happiness right now, but I wasn't going to since I was still a proud bitch that hated crying in front of other people.

After everyone had said their goodbyes (there was a lot of crying, even from my part eventually), Rafael and I boarded and it didn't take long before we were allowed to enter the plane. The flight from Sweden was longer than any flights I've been on in my life, which wasn't a lot. Rafael was sleeping during the entire time, so I tried to entertain myself by watching at least three of the movies they were during the flight.

I was a tired mess when we landed in Los Angeles. It was late in the afternoon when we landed. Mom didn't have a car to pick us up with, so we took the bus home and were greeted by our mother with open arms.

"¡Bienvenido a casa! I missed you, mis amores. How was Sweden?"

"It was great ma, gotta go to the toilet now though. Talk later!" Rafael exclaimed and he was off.

I rolled the my eyes and after taking off my shoes and jacket, I sat down at the dinner table with my mom. As I was telling her about our two weeks in Sweden, I could see the tears burning in her eyes. She was trying hard to hold them in though, which made it hard for me to look her in the eyes.