Chapter 11

It's been two days since I last spoke to Mia. I haven't seen her around school and she wasn't answering any of my calls either. I felt bad, I never should've acted that way towards her. I just don't get why she's not even willing to hear me out! I know that I was being insensitive, but I just lost my temper. It happens to the best of us.

I asked Tina for advice and she told me to just give it a few days and that before I knew it, it would be like nothing's ever happened. I hoped she was right.

"So do you know what you want to do now? I mean, instead of NUY.." Tina asked me.

I shrugged. 

Of course I've been thinking about it, but I still haven't made up my mind yet. It took me a while to accept the fact I wasn't going to study in New York anymore and I needed some time before I was able to make new plans.

"I might look for a job. I need one anyway since my mom clearly can't do all of this on her own. I can save money and maybe go to community college next semester."

Tina nodded. "Yeah, that makes sense. Well on the bright side, you won't have to miss me!"

Tina's family also didn't have a lot of money and since Tina has five siblings, she kind of already accepted that going to college wasn't an option for her. Her parents run a restaurant together just around the corner of her house and the plan was that Tina, as she was their oldest child, would eventually run the restaurant once her parents weren't able to do that anymore.

"Thank God!" I said as I grinned at my best friend.

Suddenly my phone went off and I quickly answered it. Tina grabbed my arm and told me to put it on speaker. I shook my head, not knowing what the hell Brandon might tell me on the phone. What if he was really horny and in the mood for phone sex? I mean, it wouldn't be the first time.

"Hello?"

"Hey babe. Wanna come over tonight? I have a surprise for you!" Brandon said, causing me to frown my eyebrows.

"What?" Tina mouthed and I mouthed back she needed to shut up.

"Hello, are you still there?"

I quickly nodded. "Yeah, I'm here. I'm sorry, I'm not sure that I can tonight."

It's been hard to face Brandon. Of course every day it got a little bit easier, but that still doesn't make what I've done right. At least I could look him in the eyes again without actually dying from guilt.

But at the end of the day it's my own fault and I have to deal with the consequences.

"Oh come on.." Brandon continued.

I closed my eyes for a second and took a deep breath. When I faced Tina, she looked at me in confusion. It was obvious that she was dying to know what was going on.

"Okay, okay, I'll come! I'll be there in an hour," I said before hanging up.

I can't just keep avoiding him, he was my boyfriend after all and he had no idea why I was acting so distant in the first place. I can't keep on acting like this, because sooner or later he'd notice something was going and and that was the last thing I wanted.

No matter what, what happened between Mr Adams and me was a secret and nobody could ever know about it.

"What was that all about?" Tina asked me the second I hung up.

I shook my head and shrugged as if it was nothing. Even though Tina was my best friend, I just couldn't tell her about what happened between Mr Adams and me for two reasons. The first reason was that I promised him I wouldn't tell anyone. And the second thing was that I was scared to tell her.

Tina had never been the type of girl who's afraid to say what she thinks. If I told her, she'd freak out. She would maybe even go to the police, seeing I was still underaged.

"Brandon said he has a surprise for me and you know how much I hate surprises.." I lied.

Tina studied my face for a few more seconds, almost as if she knew I was lying, before looking away and I just really hope she bought it and would let this one go.

------

"Come on, just tell me!" I whined like a little child.

Brandon and I were sitting on the couch in his living room while I was desperately begging him to tell me what the surprise was. What kind of torture is it to tell someone you have a surprise for them and then not tell them?

A laugh escaped Brandon's mouth and for a second I was mesmerized.

I don't know why and I don't know how I suddenly realized this, but that laugh was the best sound I had ever heard.

I loved Brandon, I loved him so much and it wasn't a lie when I said that I was seeing a future with him. Even after everything that happened, Brandon was the one I loved and wanted to be with. That's something not even Mr Adams could change.

So I told him. "I love you."

Of course it wasn't the first time I told him this. I can't even keep track of the amount of times we told how much we loved each other. I just felt my heart glowing with happiness, but also with guilt, even though I tried not to think about that right now.

I honestly thought I could live with the fact I kissed someone else who wasn't my boyfriend. Especially because I was so blinded by my desire towards Mr Adams. But now I'm not so sure anymore. 

I have done so many bad things in my life, I've lied so much. 

I've lied for my brother, who had killed a man. I lied for my mom, who made us swear not to tell anyone what happened or we'd have to move back to Mexico, where we literally have nothing. And after doing all of that, I thought I would be able to lie about this too, but it was just so hard.

"And I love you," Brandon said a little bit surprised as he grabbed my hands. "Oh, screw it. I'm just gonna tell you. As you may know my family and I are going to Miami for spring break and since I know how much you've always wanted to go to Miami, you're coming with us!"

My mouth literally dropped open and I wasn't sure what to say. I bit my lip as I tried to wrap my head around everything for a second.

I was going to Miami. With my boyfriend. And his father, whom I had a huge crush on and even shared a kiss with.

It wasn't even that I was afraid of Mr Adams anymore. Now that I knew he was also attracted to me, probably not as much as I'm attracted to him but still, I was more confident. I knew that he wanted me and that was enough for me to take the fear away.

The thing that really scared me was that there was even the slightest possibility for Brandon to find out. We were literally going the be up each others nose 24/7.

"I can't believe it!" I finally laughed, trying to make it look convincing.

It was true, I couldn't believe it.

Brandon was right though, I've always said how much I wanted to go to Miami. I had never been to Florida and it's just a place I always wanted to go to. I couldn't help but wonder what Mr Adams thought of this idea.

"Is your dad okay with it though? I mean, I don't want to ruin your family vacation.."

"Yeah! In fact it was his idea."

My eyebrows shot up and let me tell you that I really didn't see that one coming. Mr Adams wanted me to join their family vacation. I guess he was more interested in my offer than I thought.