Chapter 1

"I'm so excited for you to finally meet my dad. He's going to love you!" my boyfriend Brandon Adams grinned as he pinched my cheek.

I smiled at him, trying to suppress my nerves, even though he already knew how nervous I was. Brandon and I have known each other for three years now and we've been dating for about two months. Let's just say he can read me well enough.

"Hey, don't be nervous," Brandon said as he pressed a kiss on my lips. "My dad's cool, just don't swear around him and you'll live."

He was right. Besides the fact that this man was rich enough to buy every penthouse in Los Angeles and then some, he also happened to be the father of the boy I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. You could say there was a lot of pressure, but it couldn't possibly be that scary right? I already met Brandon's mom and she was amazing.

I guess the reason I felt this way is because I was scared Mr. Adams wouldn't approve of me. Because like I said Brandon's family is extremely rich and privileged and mine, well, is not. I know it shouldn't matter, at least to Brandon it doesn't, but I have no idea what Mr. Adams will think of me as he realizes I'm from a different social class as them.

So I wasn't as rich and privileged as Brandon's family, and maybe I didn't live in a fancy neighborhood like this, but I was still a good girlfriend to Brandon. From the second I laid eyes on him in freshman year, I thought he was special. He was one of the popular guys and not because of his last name. He was popular because he was kind and loyal and caring. 

Brandon was one of the good guys. He respected me like I respected him and I think that's the main reason why it worked so well between us. I was lucky to have him, not just as a lover but also as a best friend, as disgustingly cheesy as it may sound.

"Ready?" he asked me. I didn't answer but he opened the front door anyway and grabbed my hand as we made our way inside his house.

I loved going to Brandon's house, not because it was huge, I loved it because it felt warm and safe the moment you stepped inside. The pastel blue walls, the brown wooden floors and the romantic interior could make you feel like you were coming home, even if it was your first time visiting the house. My house was nothing like that.

I remember the first time visiting Brandon's house like it was yesterday. We were sophomores and he was throwing his 16th birthday party. Mia and Tina, my best friends, and I went together and when we reached the house, we thought we were at the wrong address.

I grinned as I relived the memory. If anyone back then told me I'd end up dating Brandon Adams, I would have laughed in their face.

"What's so funny?" Brandon asked as he closed the door behind us. He helped me get out of my coat and hung it up.

"Never mind. Where are your parents?" I asked him as we made our way further inside the house. I let Brandon take the lead, not feeling that comfortable yet.

"I think my mom's making dinner and my dad will probably come home from work any minute."

As we entered the kitchen, Mrs. Adams was indeed preparing dinner and her face lit up as soon as she saw us. I felt bad because it felt like I was intruding their family time. Brandon once told me his dad wasn't home a lot during dinner, that it's mostly just him and his mom. I wish Brandon would have asked mom sooner if I could stay over for dinner but he told me that Mrs. Adams always made enough food for three families.

Mrs. Adams was a beautiful and classy woman. With her blonde hair and sparkling blue eyes, you would easily feel intimidated by her beauty. She actually reminded me of Grace Kelly a bit.

"Hey kids. Valeria, how nice to finally see you again!" she smiled before she abruptly pulled me into a hug, taken me aback. I could see Brandon grinning in the corner of my eyes. Ass.

"It's nice to see you again as well, Mrs. Adams. Dinner smells lovely by the way," I said, meaning it. I could only dream of having a mother that cooked delicious meals every night. Instead, the only dinner I knew was pizza or Chinese takeaway.

"Oh please dear, call me Jocelyn. And would you like to stay for dinner? There's more than enough!" It did in fact seemed like Jocelyn was making a lot of lasagne and it would be rude to say no to her. So I glanced into Brandon's direction and he nodded his head frantically.

I turned back to Jocelyn and smiled. "Sure, I'd love to!"

I noticed how much Brandon was enjoying the fact how well his mother and I got along. I mean, in my opinion it was natural to speak to his mom with respect, but the fact the she was actually really sweet helped a lot.

"Come, let's chill in the backyard until dinner's ready," Brandon suggested and I looked at Mrs. Adams to check if she needed any help. Before I had the chance to ask her, she spoke up. "You two have fun and relax a bit. I'll call when dinner's ready!"

We didn't let her say that twice and we made our way to the enormous backyard. I watched Brandon take off his shoes and he gestured me to do the same. "So we can paddle our feet in the pool. It's romantic!" he laughed as he saw my face. Nevertheless, I took off my shoes and sat down next to him on the edge of the pool.

Brandon grabbed my hand and pressed soft kisses on it, making me shiver. "Stop it," I grinned. He shook his head. "You know you love it."

"I don't, it's gross." I loved it.

After what seemed like a few more minutes of hanging out in the backyard, Jocelyn called us from inside the house to let us know dinner was ready. We got up and while Brandon hurried inside, I slowly trailed behind him. I was starting to get more nervous with the minute. I knew meeting Mr. Adams probably wouldn't be that bad, but I just kept thinking about how this was going to be my only chance to make a first impression.

And you know what they say, you never get a second chance to make a good first impression.