Chapter One - Max

The trees were swaying gently in the cool winter breaze. Small birds were hustled together for warmth or searching for worms for their young. On a bench sat a boy with scruffy black hair. His bright blue eyes watched his phone. Every time the screen went black he would rush to turn it back on. His eyes never moved from the notification bar at the top of the screen.

Finally, the boy's phone buzzed and he immidiatly tapped the notification. His heart thumped in his chest as he waited for the screen to load, and it dropping when he realised it was from his friend, Amaryllis, instead of his girlfriend of 7 months. With a heavy heart he read the text.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MAX MY MAIN MAN!!!

Max half smiled at the text. At least someone remembered.

Thanks :)

He immediatelly regreted sending the text. Amaryllis would be able to tell that something was bothering him. She always did.

Aaw what's wrong Buttons?

Amaryllis had always called him Buttons. Max had a habbit of chewing on his shirt buttons when he was nervous at the age of 7. Whenever Amaryllis spotted him doing it she would yell 'buttons is at it again!'

I was just hoping that Stella would text me today...

YOU MEAN SHE HASN'T?!

Well... not yet anyway but she will eventually.

THAT SLUT!!

That was Amaryllis' insult for everyone who didn't agree with her or she didn't like.

She would then go on swearing and complaining about that person. The thing about her was that you knew if she liked you or not. But she was also nice about it. Well, depending on the person.

There was a boy in Max's and Amaryllis' class the previous year who was obsessed with her. His name was Robert. He was a short and fat with black curly hair. He always wore his pants very high.

Robert was a very strange person and everyone made fun of him. Amaryllis would feel guilty for him and be nice but often complained to Max about how hard it was to be nice.

In one of their classes the teacher put Amaryllis in a group with Robert.

Robert was one of those people who always tried to be a teacher's pet and always made sure he was first to class. He also sabotaged the assignment and blamed Amaryllis for getting a bad grade.

The good thing was that the teacher promissed Amaryllis never to put her in a group with Robert again.

After that, Robert tried to suck up to her but she would ignore her and pretend he never existed.

She didn't get along with stella either. Max wasn't sure why the two didn't get along. Amaryllis always said to him that she got bad vibes about her, and her 'vibes' were usually right. But he didn't think they were right this time.

It was obvious why Stella wasn't Amaryllis' number one fan. She had always been jealous of the relationship between Max and Amaryllis. It's just how his girlfriends always acted around Amaryllis. They always ended up breaking up because the girls thought there was chemistry between the two of them.

Eventually Max gave up trying to defend Stella against Amaryllis' insults and left to go home.

Max was going to have a small get-together with a few of his friends and Stella. He would have to put up with the girls' bickering.

Maybe that's why she hasn't called yet, Max thought,

she probably wants to say happy birthday in person.