Nineteen: The Gift

Start from the beginning

Yddris fidgeted and looked away for the first time as tears escaped and splashed down Jordan's cheeks. He didn't dare wipe them away. What if he somehow burned his eyes?

Koen was uncharacteristically solemn when he arrived. Nika didn't return with him and it was only a few moments before Yddris mumbled an excuse and made an exit.

"You've really thrown them for a loop," Koen said with a chuckle.

"I've thrown them for a loop?" Jordan stared, and then brandished his hand again as if it wasn't obvious enough. "Look at me!"

The fire crackled on unperturbed. It wasn't unpleasant warmth, and the chill in the room no longer felt quite so harsh, but that didn't mean he wanted it. He'd take hypothermia over whatever was happening to him now.

"Laurel wanted me to bring you this," Koen said, after a long moment of silence. He put a chipped stone plate on Jordan's knees. The bun on it was still warm and fragrant. "She also wanted me to tell you she'll be mortally offended if you don't eat it."

Jordan snorted, imagining her saying it, and the flames around his hand flickered before going out. He stared at it for a moment and then looked up at Koen.

"It responds to emotions," Koen said. "It takes a bit of practice to avoid doing that every time. You're doing much better than I did. I set my whole house on fire."

"Really?" Jordan asked, glancing at his hand again. "That's possible?"

"When you aren't manipulating it at all it just behaves like normal fire," Koen said. "The more upset you are the harder it is to manipulate it. I was...very upset when I manifested. You were one of the lucky ones who saw it coming."

Jordan took a bite of his bun to distract himself from the thought of setting something on fire by accident. What would it be, if he lost control? The inn? His clothes? Grace?

He choked on his food. Grace.

"I need to tell my sister," he said. He wasn't sure whether he was hoping for reassurance or simply stating a fact.

"I'm sure she'd appreciate that, yes," Koen said amiably, "But if you want to do it yourself you might have to wait a day or two. Manifestation takes a lot out of you, which you might have guessed from the sensation of having had your internal organs torched." He shrugged. "Or you could ask Yddris to pass it along when he goes back."

"He's leaving?"

"Harkenn does employ him," Koen pointed out, "He can't just vanish for days on end. Hap and I will be sticking around, so you won't be on your own. Nika probably will too, depending on how long he's willing to put up with Yddris."

"That's a strong factor," Nika said, entering with a pitcher of water and a cup and drifting to the bedside again. "But I'll be staying. Laurel told me you'd like to learn Nictavian script. I can start teaching you if you wish."

"Really?" Jordan asked. "That's great. Thanks." He gave a sheepish smile which came out as more of a grimace. "I'm a bit fed up of not understanding anything."

"When you're well enough we can start."

Jordan took another bite of his bun, trying to ignore the crackle in the air around him. He was more aware than ever that Koen and Nika were there; he felt hypersensitive to their magic. He almost sensed the edges of it, where the aura around them ended, and then realised how ridiculous that sounded.

Magic itself was ridiculous, in fact. The stuff of kids' books. If Jordan hadn't seen and felt that it existed he would never have believed it. He had never seen any evidence on earth.