"A dime?" Franky retorted selling another paper. "Who you think I is? Rockefeller with money spilling out of me ears? Buy the food yourself," he said walking over to Sid and sitting down next to him. Stuffing two nickels into his pocket, he grinned towards Sid in a cocky fashion. 

 With a less than friendly hang gesture and an evil glare, Sid spoke, "Next time you needs a little boost with the cash, don't come cryin' to me."

 "Never do!" Franky scuffed back. "How many you gots to sell?" He reached into his satchel and pulled out the rest of his newspapers. Laying them down on his thighs, he started shuffling through them, keeping count.  "One…two…three...four…" After quitting school at the age of seven and not possessing natural talent for mathematics, Franky was a slow counter and often lost track after one hundred. 

 Sid eyed his friend's newspaper and blurted out, "You got eleven more to sell. I've got seven more." Sid, with having a few more years of education under his string belt, was a faster counter and on countless occasions assisted Franky in keeping score. He looked up at the bakery one more time with a deep sigh. Pushing his bruised and grimy knuckles to the ground, he raised his body off the cobblestones before grabbing his cap off the ground.   

Franky, while tucking his shirt into his trousers tighter, followed Sid. 

In a few small steps, Sid reached the door to the bakery and shoved it open. Taking a look deep breath, a smile appeared on his face as he walked up to the counter. "Cheapest thing you got," he said leaning on the counter and stuffing a bony hand into his pocket for a coin. Franky waited behind Sid, not wanting to spend his money on expensive food when the city was littered with cheaper food. 

 The man behind the counter stared at Sid with detestation. He was a short but large man with blonde greasy hair and beady black eyes with a grimace that would frighten children into nightmares. "What are you doing here again? The cheapest thing I have costs as much as your wardrobe put together," he growled picking up a section of dough and tossing it between his pudgy fingers. "Scat," he spat at Sid and Franky.  He was sick of Sid coming in every day and begging for food when it was clear he did not have the money to pay for it. Deciding to ignore Sid's pleas this time, the man faced away from Sid and continued preparing the dough for a batch of bagels. 

 "I is a paying customer, ain't I?" Sid demanded to the man while looking for Franky for back up. Franky looked towards the pastries in the window pretending not to notice Sid and to be oblivious to the conversation. "Look," Sid started to bargain. "I gives you a penny and you spot me on the rest." He slammed the penny down on the counter and grinned up at the owner. 

 "Sid," Franky stepped forward and grabbed Sid by his upper arm. "Come on, it ain't worth nuthin'. We gots more paps to sell." 

 "I'm hungry!" Sid whined glaring at Franky. m

 "Yeah, I too. I is hungry, poor, dirty and gots to work in the weather. You is no better; save your earning for the cheaper food," Franky said sternly and started walking towards the door with both hands in his pockets. By the time he reached the wooden door, he realized that Sid had not moved one foot and was still by the counter. Franky turned around and leaned against the doorframe, making himself comfortable. " 'Ey stupid," Franky called to Sid. "Make your mind up and then let's bolt. People will be coming out for lunch soon; got a few more paps to get rid of. Reckon the park will be loaded."

 Sid looked at Franky then back at the baker, trying to decide which was worth going after.  His empty stomach groaned with the power of a bear from the mountains. Sid gaped at the counter with his stomach in mind. Leaning into the counter against his arm, Sid pointed to the penny and ordered the cheapest roll of bread on the menu. Franky groaned from the door and rubbed the back of his head in frustration. Once the man brought Sid his roll, Sid jogged to Franky.