Chapter 13: Applesauce, Bonkers and Other Fun Words

Start from the beginning

The song ends and a male voice begins to speaking."That was Bing Crosby's new song White Christmas, and from the looks of all the snow falling out tonight, we may have one of those ourselves. Here's hopin' you have a swell night this Christmas eve and from everyone here at KGYN, have a wonderful holiday season folks. Up next we have a special Christmas version of The Adventures of Superman. Be sure to stay tuned in for that folks, it'll knock your socks off with all the excitement and holiday cheer, but first, a word from our sponsors."

The voice gives way to a catchy jingle about toothpaste and the girl hums along. She grabs a pair of long, black velvet gloves off the bed, which I vaguely notice has a different duvet than it did two minutes ago, and slips them on. There is a knock on the door and she walks over to open it. A young lady wearing what I assume is a maid's outfit walks in.

"Miss Ruby, everyone is waiting for you to join them in the parlor," she says in a bored voice. She could give Barnabas a run for his money.

"Oh I know dear, but a lady is always fashionably late. That is how you make an entrance they will never forget," she says in a husky voice and winks at the maid.

"Of course Miss Ruby," she replies with absolutely no emotion, then looks up and down at Ruby's outfit, "Is that what you're wearing tonight, ma'am?"

"Oh please Frances, it is 1942, don't be such darn cold fish," she teases, her lips curling up in a secret little smile. I gasp, 1942? No wonder the girl's dress is identical to mine; it's literally the same dress. She must be the original owner of the clothes in the wardrobe.

"No need to flip your wig, just wondering ma'am," Frances says and with that she leaves the room.

"Dammed judgmental little fuddy-duddy," she mutters. "You'd think she was an old geezer." Ruby takes one last look at her reflection in the mirror then leaves the room. I follow her out of the room, curious to see what happens next. Typically my visions reveal the future or a clue to help me in the present, but this past thing is interesting. I'm assuming the point of it will be revealed if I just follow Ruby.

Ruby walks down the hall and down the grand staircase, her head held high and I know that she knows exactly how sexy she looks. I look around me and notice how much brighter Arrington Manor looks; the whole place seems actually cheerful and every spare inch is covered in Christmas decorations. There is even a buzz of excitement in the air. I follow her to the room where I first met Elias and she flings open the doors. Inside a large group of people stop talking and stare at her.

"Merry Christmas everyone, did you miss me dearly?" Ruby announces, winking cheekily at everyone.

"Merry Christmas Ruby!" everyone cries cheerfully. She throws her head back and laughs a low, husky laugh. Everyone stands in silence marveling the beautiful girl before them.

"What kind of part is this? Where is the music?" she asks. A graying man sitting behind a grand piano turns bright red and starts playing an up-beat jazz song. A group of young men swagger up to Ruby who smiles at them.

"Hi-de-ho Ruby, what's cooking?" A redheaded boy asks with a cocky grin on his face.

"Not much has changed since I last saw you, Roy" she teases. He looks Ruby up and down and winks at her. I guess guys haven't changed much in 70 years.

"Oh I'd say quite a bit has changed, baby-doll. Your looking especially well stacked tonight," he practically drools.

Ruby isn't impressed, she rolls her eyes. "Don't be such a wolf Roy; it's just crummy. Besides you know I'm stuck on Earnest." She stares across the room at a tall dark haired boy talking to an older woman who looks quite a bit like him.