Chapter 14: Levitation? Sounds Easy Enough

Chapter 14

It takes a few minutes trying to navigate through all the luggage, one trunk is devoted entirely to jewelry, but eventually I do find some jeans and a sweater. I can tell from the quality of the fabric that everything here is designer. Knowing my track record with clothing, I feel a bit guilty putting them on. Thankfully none of the clothes are really outlandish or anything, so I don't have to worry about another Amy-hipster-clothing fiasco. After finding some decent clothes to wear, I finally head down to breakfast.

Once I reach the dining room, I find everyone is pretty much done eating already so I sit down in the empty seat next to Sophie and grab a couple pieces of toast. Most of the food is all gone, which I know from experience is more of a testament to Dolly's fabulous cooking than it is to our collective hunger.

As I spread a generous amount of jam and butter onto my toast, Elias stands up at the head of the table. We of course make eye contact the second I take a giant bite. He chuckles and I desperately try to wipe off the jam and crumbs around my mouth. Veronica looks over at me, presumably to find out why Elias is chuckling, and gives me a snarky little smirk. It takes every inch of my willpower, not to throw my toast at her face. I make a mental note to "accidentally" spill something on her later.

"Can I get everyone's attention," Elias says once his laughter subsides. The talking dies down and he continues with his announcement. "Today we are going to have our first official lesson. We shall be meeting in the library in five minutes."

Many people stand up and leave as soon as he finishes speaking, but a few stay to eat the last few bites of food they have left. My friends stay with me as I finished my toast.

"So guys," I say in between bites. "I think there is something seriously weird going on with that closet."

"Um no offense dear, but way to state the obvious," Amy snorts. "I think the dead girl and the mysterious voice last night kind of helped get us to that observation already."

"No I mean this isn't something new. There have been strange things happening there for a long time," I say, finishing my toast.

"What do you mean? How do you know this?" Sophie asks. I'm about to answer but Barnabas comes in the room and starts clearing plates; it is only then that I realize that we are the last ones still here.

"I'll tell you guys later," I mutter. "We should get to the library, I think the lesson is about to start."

We walk in just as Elias walks to the front of the room, by the fireplace. Everyone is scattered around, sitting on armchairs or on the floor. We spot an empty loveseat by the window and scurry over to it. Amy, Sophie and I sit squeeze together on the sofa while Max sits at our feet; once we are all settled, Elias begins.

"You are all here because you have proven to us that you can achieve the level we expect of you in order to compete. However, since you all come from different backgrounds you don't have the same abilities. These lessons serve to even out the playing field and give you the opportunity to learn new skills you would never have been able to learn back home," Elias says, his voice stoic and wise. "Over the next few weeks leading up to the first challenge, we will be working on these other skills. After the first challenge, we will tackle more advanced skills that I doubt any of you would know. Then we will have one final lesson after challenge two. After that, you must practice on your own; any questions?" Elias looks around the room, but there is only silence. "Perfect, let's begin. Everyone stand up and space yourselves out around the room. While you do this, I will be passing out a pen to everyone."

We all stand up and find some empty space; as he passes the pens out some people talk excitedly to one another. I keep to myself however, my stomach flip flops so much from nerves that I'm afraid if I open my mouth I might be reintroduced to this morning's toast. I had been so preoccupied with everything this morning; I hadn't given this lesson thing a second thought. Now that it is actually here, I find myself full of nervous anticipation. I mean, I never quite learned how to control my abilities like everyone else; I've just kind of been dealing with them as they arise.