Chapter 9: Knee Socks, Bacon, and Creepy Prophecies

Chapter 9

I awake the next morning to someone knocking on my door. Groggily, I stumble out of bed and walk to the door. Naturally, being the klutz that I am, I trip over my toes and nearly face plant in the process but the door handle saves my fall. I open the door to find Amy holding a pile of folded clothes.

"Hey girly, I brought you some of my clothes to borrow!" She says, smiling brightly. I stare at her, hesitant to accept the clothes. Considering she is wearing overalls, thigh high socks and Doc Martens I'm not entirely sure I can even pull off anything she owns. "Don't worry, you're going to look killer in this outfit," Amy laughs, sensing my obvious hesitation. I sigh, not feeling reassured what so ever, and accept the clothes.

Five minutes later I stand in front of the mirror, staring at myself in horror. How Amy thought a plaid skirt, black crop top and knee socks with cat whiskers at the top would make me look "killer" is beyond me. I pull on my combat boots and storm out of my room, determined to find Amy before anyone can find me in my ridiculous clothing.

Of course, it's too good to be true. As I am walking around the corner, I run into something very solid and fall down on my butt. I look up to find Ryder looming over me. He stares at me in surprise for a few seconds, but I know the instant that he notices what I'm wearing because his expression goes from icy to coldly amused.

"Oh shut up," I grumble, heaving myself off the ground and stomping away. I finally find Amy by the stairs, talking to Sophie. Her face lights up when she sees me in her clothes.

"Juliette, you look dank girl!" she beams. Sophie stares at Amy in confusion but I'm too irritated to care.

"If by dank you mean ridiculous, and quite frankly who the hell knows with you, then yeah I look 'hella' dank," I retort, putting air quotes around the word hella. Amy raises a perfectly shaped eyebrow and Sophie's eyes widen in shock.

"You know if you don't like it, there about a million better ways that you could've told me," Amy says sharply. I sigh, realizing my bitchiness.

"You're right, I'm sorry Amy. It's just not really me." Amy's face lights up again and she grabs my hand, pulling me into her room. Ten minutes later, I'm feeling much more comfortable in a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and an oversized cardigan. Amy attempted coaxing me into a pair of floral print leggings, but I held my ground.

"So what is the plan for the day?" I ask as we walk down to breakfast.

"I'm not entirely sure," Sophie responds. "I know we have our lesson this afternoon because Elias and Ryder are still dealing with...well, you know." Sophie gulps and I can tell she is fighting back tears. Hesitantly, I reach out a hand and pat her on the back. I'm not so great with these situations; it is not exactly the type of thing they find all too necessary to teach us in crazy school. Sophie smiles at me and I know she appreciated the sentiment.

"So what, do we just have free time until then?" Amy asks, clearly hoping a change of subject would help make the tears disappear.

Sophie shrugs, "I guess so." As soon as we walk into the dining room, all conversation stops and everyone seems to be trying very hard not to look at us. Even I know that they had been talking about us. The tension is so thick it is practically palpable.

Thankfully, it is soon broken by Max walking into the room. "Man I really hope that is fried chicken and waffles I smell," he exclaims through a loud yawn. "Because I gotta tell you; I've been craving it like crazy." Everyone laughs and normal conversation returns.

Fried chicken and waffles are not actually on the menu, much to Max's disappointment, but Dolly's bacon is so good that he quickly forget about them. After breakfast, the four of us walk into the library and sit around the fireplace, talking for hours.